PET SHOP SHAME ON YOU thread

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I thought it might be interesting to post a new thread where we can share photographs of tortoises in horrible conditions and post the location.
This Sulcata is horribly deformed from lack of humidity and hydration and at $200 is way overpriced at BEVERLY'S PET CENTER in Hollywood Florida.
That water bowl isnt helping anything.
I offer help on almost every visit. But it's not usually well received

20200919_214639.jpg20200919_214622.jpg20200919_141658.jpg

MichaelL

5 Year Member
Ocala, Fl
That is really sad.. That sulcata could've grown up to be a nice, healthy, smooth adult. Whenever I go to the pet stores for stuff for my geckos, I take pics of any torts I see just because I think it's cool seeing any tortoise. These pics don't show super bad care (other than the super small cages, bad substrate, bad food, etc.) but they're just a few I've taken over time.

Also can you believe they are feeding the russian in the second pic dry grassland pellets?? Those things are like rocks when dry, I don't know any russian that would be able to eat those without them being moist. Also russians don't even like those pelletes when wet either, so the russian is just going to starve basically, probably full of worms too. :/
IMG_1736 (1).JPGIMG_1742.JPGIMG_1148.JPGIMG_2983.JPGIMG_1034 (1).JPG

AgataP

Seattle, WA
When I was looking for a tortoise and I visited some of the local stores I have decided I will be reporting them as animal cruelty.
I have no heart now to go to any but I will. Because I am tired of this sh**!
I am actually thinking about opening a website in that subject.

Zoeclare

Uk
I thought it might be interesting to post a new thread where we can share photographs of tortoises in horrible conditions and post the location.
This Sulcata is horribly deformed from lack of humidity and hydration and at $200 is way overpriced at BEVERLY'S PET CENTER in Hollywood Florida.

View attachment 306766View attachment 306767View attachment 306768
Wow a super rare "sulcatta"! Can't even spell it right!

Happytort27

CA
This is truly a sad sight to see. Every time I walk into a pet store, I see tortoises in their incorrect setup and diet, and it makes me frustrated.

Happytort27

CA
That is really sad.. That sulcata could've grown up to be a nice, healthy, smooth adult. Whenever I go to the pet stores for stuff for my geckos, I take pics of any torts I see just because I think it's cool seeing any tortoise. These pics don't show super bad care (other than the super small cages, bad substrate, bad food, etc.) but they're just a few I've taken over time.

Also can you believe they are feeding the russian in the second pic dry grassland pellets?? Those things are like rocks when dry, I don't know any russian that would be able to eat those without them being moist. Also russians don't even like those pelletes when wet either, so the russian is just going to starve basically, probably full of worms too. :/
View attachment 306775View attachment 306777View attachment 306778View attachment 306779View attachment 306776
Those tortoises are quite beautiful. It’s a shame to see them cooped up in those small enclosures.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Should bring them a picture of what a sully at that age/sze should look like. Then hand them a broken down to simple steps they could do to help him at this point care sheet. Then let them know that you know a bunch of tortoise lovers and they will be hearing from us almost daily, if not daily to correct the care or we won't stop.
I wish authorities would do something to pet stores that give such bad care. I also wish breeders wouldn't sell to them without a contract of following proper care.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Should bring them a picture of what a sully at that age/sze should look like. Then hand them a broken down to simple steps they could do to help him at this point care sheet. Then let them know that you know a bunch of tortoise lovers and they will be hearing from us almost daily, if not daily to correct the care or we won't stop.
I wish authorities would do something to pet stores that give such bad care. I also wish breeders wouldn't sell to them without a contract of following proper care.
This shop always has Sulcata. Usually many small ones in a dry aquarium with a too tall sided water bowl.
They have in the past placed a shallow water dish in place of the bowl. But they sell those bowls. So they revert back to it soon after I leave.
Also. They sell MVB bulbs and coiled, spiral UVB lights.
No strip florescent of any kind.
And these same lights are blasting the animals there.
I was there today to get Hornworms and bird and dog food. I didn't even want to look and see what tortoises they had.

Relic

Here
My concern with the set-up in the pet store is more along these lines. When they sell you a canary, you can already see how large it will be and can evaluate your home space available and purchase an appropriate cage. When you purchase a pair of guppies...same situation as the canary. But not 1 in a thousand folks who might buy that sulcata have the foggiest notion of how large, demanding, and destructive that little beast will ultimately be...assuming it lives long enough.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
My concern with the set-up in the pet store is more along these lines. When they sell you a canary, you can already see how large it will be and can evaluate your home space available and purchase an appropriate cage. When you purchase a pair of guppies...same situation as the canary. But not 1 in a thousand folks who might buy that sulcata have the foggiest notion of how large, demanding, and destructive that little beast will ultimately be...assuming it lives long enough.
True.
In fact many new keepers buy a pair along with a 20 gallon aquarium to keep them in.
My small house has a small yard.
It is entirely too small for even one adult Sulcata.
AND my fence is not strong enough to keep one inside.
They are a horrible pet for most people.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
I got a few Horn Worms at the pet shop around the corner and overheard a couple talking, looking at a "big" 55 gallon aquarium for what sounded like keeping a pretty large Sulcata in.
I told them about this fantastic, free forum.
And suggested they not buy an aquarium.
You can make a pretty big enclosure for the same hundred bucks.

Liltortivert

California
Was talking to a reptile store owner recently about my baby Greek tortoise and he told me I should keep it dry with pellet substrate. He said the whole moisture and eco earth thing is an internet fad that passed 5 years ago. Hmmmmm

Relic

Here
Was talking to a reptile store owner recently about my baby Greek tortoise and he told me I should keep it dry with pellet substrate. He said the whole moisture and eco earth thing is an internet fad that passed 5 years ago. Hmmmmm
Like I've always said: "You can't make people be smart."

Duckster RT

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
CT New Haven.
Most pet shops are terrible. Hopefully they will stop selling live animals. This will make ppl seek breeders. Most breeders care for their stock. Plus it gives the owners more time to prepare.

queen koopa

Las Vegas Nevada

View attachment 306766View attachment 306767View attachment 306768
$200 baby deformed Sulcata!!! Just what the f