Pesticide Grass

Maggy

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Salt Lake City, Utah
I wanted to create a little green house for my Hermann's tortoise and so I bought a grass patch from a local garden store. I wanted to make sure the grass didn't have any pesticides in it or anything harmful to my tortoise, is there a way to get rid of the chemicals that are on the plant? I am not sure how the grass was treated before I purchased it. Can I just spray the grass down with water or something?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Do you mean that you bought a strip of sod? That can't be given to your tortoise for at least 6 months. It's loaded with pesticides and fertilizers. It's not just what's on the outside of the blades of grass, but they're usually treated with systemics, which means it has been taken up by the roots and is inside the plant.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
that's the biggest problem with pesticides right now they no longer just spray the plan if that was the case you can just rinse it off no problem. But they use systemic pesticides now which go through every single cell the plan to keep insects off of it. I don't feed anything I don't grow myself anymore. and even if they say it's safe for human consumption or use that's for a large human not a tiny tortoise so that could be misleading right there as well