Pesticide free grass sod

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sulcatatortoiseman

5 Year Member
Hey guys I wanted know if I could pesticide free grass sod or if you guys just plant seeds.Is it ok for tortoises to graze on grass with pesticides?

If I were to buy seeds what kind of grass should I buy?I live in SOCAL Los Angeles

Meg90

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
WI
No, you should not let your tortoise ingest pesticides. They are chemicals designed to kill pests. Would you want to eat that?

Wheat grass is a good grass. You can also buy a grazing mix from CarolinaPetsupply.com its broadleaf weeds. I bought some, and its kinda pricey, but you get a ton of seed. I didn't even use all they sent me.

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
You may be able to find organic sod if you shop around. I think it is better to go the route of planting a variety of broadleaf plants as most tortoises like those more. I agree the Carolina Pet Supply mixes are great. Little sprouts come up and look like grass, and you can either pick them for your tortoise or let them graze in it. What species do you have? Some species shouldn't even eat grass. Make sure there is only natural pesticides/fertilizers like manure, and no chemicals. This goes for any potting soil you may use too.

Kayti

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Ashland, Oregon
My young Sulcata absolutely loved the timothy hay I grew last summer- especially when it was young. I highly recommend growing your own from seed if you have the space- it grows really fast. I think I had enough to start feeding after just 2 weeks.

Status
Not open for further replies.