Welcome to the forum.

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
Hello, there, and welcome to the forum!
It's a small world...I lived in the York area for my first 50 years. For the last 20 of those years I lived just outside of Windsor. I'm a grad of D-town, class of 69. Now I'm sweltering in the low desert near Palm Springs, CA.

Have you thought about what species of tortoise you're getting? We can post a care sheet for you...you know what? I'm going to post the 2 main care sheets, one for sulcatas, leopards, and stars. The other is for most everything else except redfoot. We have a separate sheet for them.

Are you getting a hatchling or a juvenile or an adult? Regardless of which one, you want to have the enclosure set up and heat and lights running before you get your new friend.

Here they are...

Be really careful about advice you may get from pet stores, some vets, some breeders, and even many owners. Many of them have no clue how to properly keep a tortoise and will happily fill your ears with non-helpful, wrong, and sometimes dangerous opinions. If a pet shop wants you to buy something, just run it by us before you buy it. We don't want you to buy useless equipment.

And finally, realize that you are going to have a rather large enclosure, hopefully at least 4ft x 3ft and 2ft tall, with a solid lid. It should not sit on the floor.

The preparation and anticipation is so much fun! You're going to have a blast! :tort: ?

Moeckelianl

Dallastown
Hi, I’m currently living in Southern York county and I plan on getting a Sulcata tortoise. My girlfriend brother has had a sulcata for seven years and ever since I first saw him I’ve been obsessed with them. We’re currently in the process of moving and we will be going into a rental before we move into our new house so I don’t want to get one until I have a permanent place for him. I’ve been taking this time to learn more about them so i can properly care for one.

I plan on getting a 8’x4’ sheet of plywood and build walls 12” high and probably a beam long ways across for lighting and heating. I was also planning on use a mixture of topsoil and some type of moss to keep moisture. I chose topsoil because I would like to have the box all set up and I would like to try to grow grass in part of the box and also keep few safe plants and flowers for him to snack on.

I’m not sure what age I will be getting. What is the best age to start out with? I’d like to start young so I can build a bond for a young age. Eventually I build a shed large enough to keep him in during the cold months and have a custom enclosure outside when it is warmer.

I spend most of my time after work reading information and watching videos about caring for Sulcatas and one book says one thing but it could be the opposite somewhere else. So I’m starting to realize that I’m gonna have to try different things and see what works for me, so I could definitely use some advice and ideas for the Pennsylvania climate long term.

Also, I’m class of 18 from dtown

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
Be sure to read that care sheet I posted on sulcatas. If you get a hatchling, it has to live inside until it's around 8" long. That takes a couple years, and it needs to be in a closed chamber. You can build one or buy it. That would depend on your skills at building. ?

We don't recommend soil or moss because torts sometimes eat them and they are an impaction risk. Soil is also an eye and skin irritant.

There is so much old outdated info out there online. You would be wise to stay with us for all your info now. Even when people are shown that there are new, better ways to raise and care for these wonderful creatures, it is still very difficult to get them to change their ways. Pet store people don't know how to care for them and want you to buy their stuff. Even some vets don't know, so ask and listen to us. Our only interest is helping you make the best home possible for your tortoise.

Read the care sheet, then come back with questions. We're happy to explain why we recommend what we do. It's great that you have found TFO now, before you have your baby. If you will follow our methods, you will have the greatest probability of a healthy, happy, thriving tortoise that you can have.

Where you get your hatchling is very important. What a breeder does the first moments after the baby hatches can be the literal difference between life and death. Sadly, the death comes months later, when the baby is in his new home with people who already adore him.

If you have a breeder in mind, tell us the name and hopefully someone will know him and fill you in. If you don't know any breeders, we have several members on here that raise them, and do it the correct way.l

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
Hello, hope you find what you want. Read the caresheets. This site has all the updated information and many members with tons of experience.