Penis exposed

Borgijo

Location (City and/or State)
Ca
Excuse my title but really I don’t know how else to bring this up. So one of my babes Squirt, his penis is out & well a little dry because it has coconut coir stuck to it. He isn’t pulling it back in. I tried soaking him. But still nothing. What would cause this? Any suggestions. He may be needing a vet visit Monday. Oh he just had a bath yesterday evening & it wasn’t exposed so it’s been since then. He also didn’t come out of his rock this morning to eat

Last edited:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
This is called a prolapse. It is urgent that you keep it moist. Try packing a sugar poultice on it. Make a paste of sugar/water, pack it on the penis, wrap it in plastic wrap to keep the poultice moist then put a human preemie baby diaper on the tortoise to keep the poultice in place. The sugar helps reduce the swelling. It may go back in by itself, if not he needs to see the vet.

Prolapse happens because the tortoise was straining. He might be constipated, have worms, or stones.

Borgijo

Ca
This is called a prolapse. It is urgent that you keep it moist. Try packing a sugar poultice on it. Make a paste of sugar/water, pack it on the penis, wrap it in plastic wrap to keep the poultice moist then put a human preemie baby diaper on the tortoise to keep the poultice in place. The sugar helps reduce the swelling. It may go back in by itself, if not he needs to see the vet.

Prolapse happens because the tortoise was straining. He might be constipated, have worms, or stones.

Thank you I will be getting a diaper & doing so!

Borgijo

Ca

Ok so my neighbor had a newborn diaper. The poultice. Is this just sugar and water?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Sounds like you got it under control for now. Keep us posted.
@Yvonne G when do you suggest they take the diaper off to see if things are working? Hours? The next day?

zovick

10 Year Member!
Sounds like you got it under control for now. Keep us posted.
@Yvonne G when do you suggest they take the diaper off to see if things are working? Hours? The next day?

check in about 4-5 hours. If not better then , repeat the process. Keep doing this same thing until you can get the tortoise to a vet if it does not retract by itself. If the tissue became too dried out, he may need the penis amputated.

Borgijo

Ca
check in about 4-5 hours. If not better then , repeat the process. Keep doing this same thing until you can get the tortoise to a vet if it does not retract by itself. If the tissue became too dried out, he may need the penis amputated.

I know it was a little early to check but their lights turn over at 7 so just checked it. I’m thankful to say it pulled back in! I’ll check it again tomorrow morning. Thanks for all the help!

Sterant

5 Year Member
Albany, NY
I don't mean to suggest you don't know a penis when you see one ;-) but are you sure it was his penis and not an intestinal prolapse?

Borgijo

Ca
I don't mean to suggest you don't know a penis when you see one ;-) but are you sure it was his penis and not an intestinal prolapse?

Oh no it was definitely his penis. He has been flashing us quite often lately. It’s like the new found toy . My poor kids will be like mom he is doing it again! But I have another male, so I don’t know if that has anything to do with it??