Peeling prickly pears?

Status
Not open for further replies.

morloch

5 Year Member
This might seem like an odd question but,,, why do we need to peel prickly pears or cactus pads?. Nobody does it in the wild for them. I would think the skin on a cactus fruit would be good for them, ? Other than washing it,, For pesticides,, etc. any opinions?

BeeBee*BeeLeaves

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Orange County, So Cal
No. Not an odd question and no, no peeling needed. By golly, that is where all the fiber is! I do cheat a little and use scissors to cut it up a little to make it easier on my little leopards.

morloch

5 Year Member
Thankyou,, I'm no longer peeling! I've been doing it for two yrs! Ha, stupid me.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hehe, Sorry dont mean to giggle. But I picture you doing all that work, while the rest of us are just wacking off a piece and tossing it in to the torts. :D I bet they appreciated it though:p :D. We or most of us anyway, do remove the spines.

morloch

5 Year Member
Lol... The funny thing is,,, my son just eats the whole fruit!!,,then today he is standing right in front of me (eating Morlochs food btw).like I'm in a trance, I stare at him and think ,,,,why do I bother peeling it?. It hasn't killed my kid!![SMILING FACE WITH SMILING EYES]

ZombiiePoopp16

5 Year Member
You are just suppose to despine the cactus to make it easier for them to eat.

morloch

5 Year Member
I'm a little slow k ! Lol[SMILING FACE WITH OPEN MOUTH][SMILING FACE WITH SMILING EYES][SMILING FACE WITH OPEN MOUTH]

BeeBee*BeeLeaves

5 Year Member
Orange County, So Cal
Funniest keeper story ever. Especially because you did it for years. Aren't ya glad ya found TFO?
Lotta good karma for all that extra effort you did on behalf of your tortoises. You were being kind. Too kind. : )

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
It is a very funny story. Very sweet too.:D. And it all done for a big fella too. :D
Thanks for the laugh. :)

morloch

5 Year Member
I got a good laugh too!! [SMILING FACE WITH OPEN MOUTH AND SMILING EYES][SMILING FACE WITH OPEN MOUTH AND SMILING EYES][GRINNING FACE WITH SMILING EYES]

BeeBee*BeeLeaves

5 Year Member
Orange County, So Cal
Oh wait a minute? You did this all for a sulcata? Not a teeny weeny something but a sulcata? Just saw your avatar. Nope, this is not just good karma folks. You are going straight to heaven for that! : )

reticguy76

5 Year Member
If its any consilation, I peel them for my little "Cooter". He hasnt even showed remote interest in them. That way they are peeled and ready for when I intervene and eat them for him!!

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
ZombiiePoopp16 said:
You are just suppose to despine the cactus to make it easier for them to eat.

Actually, de-spining cactus only benefits the tortoise owner...the torts will happily eat it "as is", just as they do in the wild... :cool:

BeeBee*BeeLeaves

5 Year Member
Orange County, So Cal
Oh no no no Terry. That one is hard for me. I feel like they are eating needles. I take a knife and scrape those off. But you are right, in the wild they do eat those needles, I mean, spines.

reticguy76 said:
If its any consilation, I peel them for my little "Cooter". He hasnt even showed remote interest in them. That way they are peeled and ready for when I intervene and eat them for him!!

You are also going straight to heaven! And I thought I spoiled and coddled my tortoises. Y'all beat me by a mile.

DevilsLettuce

5 Year Member
BeeBee*BeeLeaves said:
Oh no no no Terry. That one is hard for me. I feel like they are eating needles. I take a knife and scrape those off. But you are right, in the wild they do eat those needles, I mean, spines.

reticguy76 said:

You are also going straight to heaven! And I thought I spoiled and coddled my tortoises. Y'all beat me by a mile.

BeeBee, have you tried burning the needles off? I just move a pad over the stove gas burner and it quickly burns all the needles off, don't know if that will be faster than your knife method.

morloch

5 Year Member
So here's morloch trying to eat the skin of prickly pear. Not too happy stillImageUploadedByTortForum1381081223.237084.jpg. Or back to the good old days!!ImageUploadedByTortForum1381081254.505989.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1381081269.402703.jpg, hand feeding it is!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.