Peeling/chipping scutes

OR*Tort*lover

Location (City and/or State)
Oregon
Hi all,

I brought my box turtle home over the summer. He was a former animal ambassador at my work but due to the fact he is a grumpy bitey box turtle he wasn't being used and was overall being kept in improper conditions and has quite a few issues I'm working on like his overgrown beak and toenails.

At work he was being kept in very dry conditions and his poor shell was so dry you cannot even see the patterns on his shell any longer. I've changed his lighting and I'm working on increasing humidity.

I've noticed areas where the top layers of his scutes are peeling or chipping. I know tortoises and box turtles do not shed scutes like aquatics... but given his previous conditions and dessicated shell, would you expect to see a little of this as his conditions have changed?20201102_133227.jpg
20201102_133219.jpg20201102_133208.jpg

Attachments

• 20201102_133208.jpg
    20201102_133208.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0

Sarah2020

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
London, UK
Poor box turtle and thanks for taking it into your care. I think regular soaks, correct lighting, temps and diets will be critical but not enough to reverse. However it must be a more comfortable environment than previously.

PJay

5 Year Member
Virginia
Hi all,

I brought my box turtle home over the summer. He was a former animal ambassador at my work but due to the fact he is a grumpy bitey box turtle he wasn't being used and was overall being kept in improper conditions and has quite a few issues I'm working on like his overgrown beak and toenails.

At work he was being kept in very dry conditions and his poor shell was so dry you cannot even see the patterns on his shell any longer. I've changed his lighting and I'm working on increasing humidity.

I've noticed areas where the top layers of his scutes are peeling or chipping. I know tortoises and box turtles do not shed scutes like aquatics... but given his previous conditions and dessicated shell, would you expect to see a little of this as his conditions have changed?View attachment 310361
View attachment 310364View attachment 310363
Yes, it has been kept much too dry. A more humid environment along with the opportunity to self soak regularly and/or regular mandatory soaks by you will improve shell and skin condition over time. Terrestrial turtle species like this can see great improvement with proper environmental conditions. Their shell and skin condition can improve as well as better skin coloration with a more varied diet. When confronted with peeling or chipping shells I chip off the major flakes and keep watch for bacterial or fungal growth. Over the counter triple antibiotic ointment or athletes foot cream are useful at times.