Pearly's tips to feed picky eater

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Earth
I have never seen this one around here

The smaller bags of Mazuri original recipe were discontinued. You have to order it online, either in 25 lb bags from Mazuri or resellers if you want smaller amounts.

Pearly

5 Year Member
Central Texas, Austin area
The smaller bags of Mazuri original recipe were discontinued. You have to order it online, either in 25 lb bags from Mazuri or resellers if you want smaller amounts.
I don't know when I'd use 25 lbs, if I only need like maybe 15-20 pellets per week...

Pearly

5 Year Member
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1459777885.429889.jpgyesterday's meals: green (escarole, little collard green), mango, tiny strip of red bell pepper, and minced cactus. ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1459778021.497079.jpgi usually put it on some veggie or lettuce leaves for easier clean up, ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1459778093.333507.jpg and add little soaked/mashed mazuri, some sprouts, and VOILA! Good to go! ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1459778161.204713.jpgi usual do my chopping once a day and leave some copped stuff for another feeding just as time saver. Now I wouldn't chop the greens too much ahead, as they would lose their crunch, become soggy and yacky.

Kori5

You are a great tort mom :D. I have a spoiled on too and he hates Mazuri, both types. Although he loves the LS more.

Pearly

5 Year Member
You are a great tort mom :D. I have a spoiled on too and he hates Mazuri, both types. Although he loves the LS more.
Thank you, yes, it's our who finds Mazuri LS and his protein irresistable. He's the little cherryhead. Shellka always darts for any fruit and she's the best snail hunter I've ever seen:)

Pearly

5 Year Member
Thank you, yes, it's our who finds Mazuri LS and his protein irresistable. He's the little cherryhead. Shellka always darts for any fruit and she's the best snail hunter I've ever seen:)
Meant "our Tucker" , i don't know why the spellchecker does what it does at times

Pearly

5 Year Member
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1464025853.259734.jpg calcium supplement day on a Sunday! Mixed with this minced shrimp they will devour it to the last bite. I only give calcium 1x per week. If that! My babies eat very well and my Picky Eater is turning into an eating machine so I feel there is no need to go crazy with supplements. They are just supposed to "fill in the gaps". Or.., is it different with tort diet? If someone knows that it is (different) please tell me all about it.

Last edited:

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
View attachment 174526 calcium supplement day on a Sunday! Mixed with this minced shrimp they will devour it to the last bite. I only give calcium 1x per week. If that! My babies eat very well and my Picky Eater is turning into an eating machine so I feel there is no need to go crazy with supplements. They are just supposed to "fill in the gaps". Or.., is it different with tort diet? If someone knows that it is (different) please tell me all about it.

Your tortoises eat better than I do. ;)

A little extra calcium shouldn't hurt.

Pearly

5 Year Member
Your tortoises eat better than I do. ;)

A little extra calcium shouldn't hurt.
Haha! They get tons of it in their food :) but I'm not against supplementing. Just don't like to overdo it. Especially when they eat diverse diet (and lots of it!!!) are active, pee&poo and look/feel like lil' walking rocks. They have cuttle bone in there too which they used to nibble on almost daily. Interesting that they used their cuttlebone all the time when they were not eating their food as eagerly. Now they eat like they've never seen food before and seem to ignore the cuttlebone.

Pearly

5 Year Member
Little update to my feeding thread. Found couple other pelleted tort food in little pet store. ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1467657803.135694.jpg. My babies are not too crazy about it. It looks like ground up hay, very fiberous, but the label says "forest tortoise food". ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1467657960.181672.jpg and this one is completely different texture, very smooth, takes longer to soak than the first one. Tucker seems to like it much more than the other, but not nearly as much as they like Mazuri or the teeny tiny colorful pellets ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1467658126.682995.jpg. We also have a great wuick fix for a bribe ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1467658168.854768.jpg omg! They love those tiny freeze dried shrimp! I always give them couple of those each time I have them do something that disagreeable to them so they don't mind so much:)ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1467658270.639887.jpg they also love the smell of these but these anchovies are so dense in texture I chop them up into crumbles and sprinkle small bit over chopped cactus mixed with chopped greens to get them to start eating. I know I know! This is not "natural" and "they should graze" in everything. But to me there's nothing natural about keeping rainforest tortoise in central Texas subdivision house/backyard and I just want for them to eat, grow, be healthy, never worry about food and have happy life as my family little "captives":)

Pearly

5 Year Member
Awesome thread I learned a lot thanks I will defiantly be using this info a lot!
This is a good discussion to help my problem. The picture say all of it. Thank you very muchhh!!!
Glad to know. This is the whole Point of making this thread, to help others who worry about their pets like I did. It took me a lot of reading, searching the local stores, experimenting to get to this point where I'm half way confident in what I'm doing here, so if anyone else can benefit from my work than all that has been more than worth it.

Pearly

5 Year Member
Wanted to share another couple of newly discovered commercial tort formulasImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1471189102.799008.jpg my babies seem to LOVE this one. The label says "appetite stimulating" so it maybe on of the possibilities to entice those picky eaters to food. I just put a sprinkle of it on top of the salad and mixed it in a bit. My babies first went fishing for those orange cubes before eating all the rest. ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1471189288.675350.jpgand another pelleted type, only these are moist pellets. I'm not sure if this will be my torts' favorite but they in general like most commercial tort food

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1471189033.679563.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1471189033.679563.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 17

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Little update to my feeding thread. Found couple other pelleted tort food in little pet store. View attachment 179151. My babies are not too crazy about it. It looks like ground up hay, very fiberous, but the label says "forest tortoise food". View attachment 179152 and this one is completely different texture, very smooth, takes longer to soak than the first one. Tucker seems to like it much more than the other, but not nearly as much as they like Mazuri or the teeny tiny colorful pellets View attachment 179155. We also have a great wuick fix for a bribe View attachment 179156 omg! They love those tiny freeze dried shrimp! I always give them couple of those each time I have them do something that disagreeable to them so they don't mind so much:)View attachment 179157 they also love the smell of these but these anchovies are so dense in texture I chop them up into crumbles and sprinkle small bit over chopped cactus mixed with chopped greens to get them to start eating. I know I know! This is not "natural" and "they should graze" in everything. But to me there's nothing natural about keeping rainforest tortoise in central Texas subdivision house/backyard and I just want for them to eat, grow, be healthy, never worry about food and have happy life as my family little "captives":)
I bought the Zoo Med Forest Tortoise food by mistake once, when i didn't have my glasses.
Though it's not exactly the right stuff for Tidgy, i feed it sometimes and she adores it, one of her favourite ever things.
Silly tort.

Prairie Mom

Wanted to share another couple of newly discovered commercial tort formulasView attachment 183635 my babies seem to LOVE this one. The label says "appetite stimulating" so it maybe on of the possibilities to entice those picky eaters to food. I just put a sprinkle of it on top of the salad and mixed it in a bit. My babies first went fishing for those orange cubes before eating all the rest. View attachment 183637and another pelleted type, only these are moist pellets. I'm not sure if this will be my torts' favorite but they in general like most commercial tort food
I wonder what the main ingredients consist of? They look almost fruity?