Pearly's cherryhead marbling story

Pearly

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Central Texas, Austin area
This thread is dedicated to all novice cherryhead keepers who like myself a year ago, had no idea their baby torts shell color would go through some drastic changes. My baby grand-tort- Tucker was one of the 2 tiny hatchlings I bought over a year ago for my then 10 yr old daughter. His "sister" Redfoot named Shellie was the pretty one, with nice bright colors and some adorable split scutes. Little Tucker seemed to be a runt, much smaller, duller, inactive, not wanting to eat... We seriously didn't think he would live but wanted to do our best to give him a chance at life. ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1469895637.581212.jpg here he is at 5wks old. Was just beginning to eat little better at that time. We took them outside every day for at least 1/2 hr and let them move around out in fresh air and under the real sun. Always positioned them where they could get into a shade if they wanted, always had water bowl and they would go drink out of it and just get in and sit in it for a while. This picture shows him at the time I was beginning to have hope Tucker would live. ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1469896079.433952.jpg Here he is with Shellie about couple weeks later already showing lighter growth lines. At that point I was noticing them and beginning to worry attributing "dullness" in his coloration to his problems which had manifested low activity level and poor appetite, just little or no "drive" in that little dude. ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1469896347.933644.jpg Here the lines getting even lighter and I'm getting REALLY WORRIED!!! Really making sure he eats, drinks gets his outdoor time, temp and humidity are where they need to be, there's good pee/poo and daily soaking. I fed them 3x day, they always had food leftover and fresh greens to much on in the enclosure. They were chewing on their cuttlebone very frequently at that time. Tbc (to be cont'ed)

Pearly

5 Year Member
Central Texas, Austin area
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1469897118.270570.jpg here he is 3 months old, and I thin he gets the calcium powder from his food on his shell... Only they get calcium only 2xwk and daily bath.... And this stuff doesn't come off... ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1469897289.482118.jpg here he still looks like his "sister" only her shell is perfect, and his is always "dirty".

MysticCaribou

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sweet Home Chicago
This thread is dedicated to all novice cherryhead keepers who like myself a year ago, had no idea their baby torts shell color would go through some drastic changes. My baby grand-tort- Tucker was one of the 2 tiny hatchlings I bought over a year ago for my then 10 yr old daughter. His "sister" Redfoot named Shellie was the pretty one, with nice bright colors and some adorable split scutes. Little Tucker seemed to be a runt, much smaller, duller, inactive, not wanting to eat... We seriously didn't think he would live but wanted to do our best to give him a chance at life. View attachment 181857 here he is at 5wks old. Was just beginning to eat little better at that time. We took them outside every day for at least 1/2 hr and let them move around out in fresh air and under the real sun. Always positioned them where they could get into a shade if they wanted, always had water bowl and they would go drink out of it and just get in and sit in it for a while. This picture shows him at the time I was beginning to have hope Tucker would live. View attachment 181859 Here he is with Shellie about couple weeks later already showing lighter growth lines. At that point I was noticing them and beginning to worry attributing "dullness" in his coloration to his problems which had manifested low activity level and poor appetite, just little or no "drive" in that little dude. View attachment 181860 Here the lines getting even lighter and I'm getting REALLY WORRIED!!! Really making sure he eats, drinks gets his outdoor time, temp and humidity are where they need to be, there's good pee/poo and daily soaking. I fed them 3x day, they always had food leftover and fresh greens to much on in the enclosure. They were chewing on their cuttlebone very frequently at that time. Tbc (to be cont'ed)

Wow - I have two hatchling cherryheads - now 3 & 4 months old. I am neurotic ;) with their care. Putting them in their food bowl to make sure they are eating, numerous times a day. And in their water bowl as well. I cut up their food so they don't struggle with the big pieces. I soak them a minimum of 20 minutes every morning. I get it about the worry.
From what I learned from past experience, is that the white is showing growth and will get darker over time. I've seen that before on posts in this forum and FB groups. Your tortoises are beautiful. Can't wait to read the rest of your story.

Separately mine won't touch the cuttlebone. They ignore it. I do sprinkle calcium on their food 3 or 4 times a week.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
I know next to nothing about this species or the marbling.
So I can't really contribute.
Except to say this is one of the most beautiful threads on the forum.

MysticCaribou

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sweet Home Chicago
His shell looks so smooth - as it should be. No pyramiding means you do an excellent job with them!