Pearly's "babies" in their baths

Pearly

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Central Texas, Austin area
Hi, All! I've been wanting to do this thread for a while for quick reference for our newcomers or folks who have questions. Again, like with all the other posts I claim no perfection or "my way is the only right way". What I share on this forum is just the result of my observations of the results of how my research applies to raising my baby tortoises over the past 2 yrs, and I share the stuff that in my view works best for me and my tortoises. Most new tort/reptile keepers are foreign to the idea of soaking their pet (as I was) so it doesn't come naturally to come up with best ways of getting it done. For me using the small opaque bucket didn't work well and it was on this forum that I saw someone post pics of their tort soaking in the sink. That gave me an idea: "why not try my guest bath tub"? And for me, this was the Eureka I had been looking for. Bath time has been since relaxing for me and my baby torts. I probably would think twice bfr letting my torts empty their cloaca into my tub that I used daily fir cleansing my body but the way it is now works out perfectly! Their first year they had daily baths and that went on till somewhere around mid of their second year at which point we started skipping a day. Currently they are are still on every other day schedule, or at least 2-3 x week. I often find them slowly marching up and down the tub and spending more time over on the drain side where the water is deeper and they have to slightly stick their necks out in order for their nostrils to be above water level. They seem to enjoy the feeling of some buoyancy in water. I love watching them explore like that. It never gets old

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1496076312.942674.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1496076312.942674.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 27

Pearly

5 Year Member
WATER TEMPERATURE I like to start in low 90's (92-93F) which equals 33.3-33.8 C, and then with consecutive refills go up (I drain cold/dirty water, refilling with warmer) to 103-104F which is 39.4-40C. ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1496078215.392543.jpg all this with the goals in mind: 1) provide extra hydration to those babies (and mine do drink out of their bowl) 2) raise their core body temp to above 85F to pick up their metabolic rate on regular bases in hopes of it boosting their immune system and overall health, 3) keep their indoor enclosure clean as they always pee/poo in bathImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1496078551.622018.jpg on this picture you see me pointing my gun thermometer to the carapace of my tort. I love my gun thermometer but you can feel the difference when your tort is warmed up. It is not accurate due to discrepancies in your body heat distribution in distal body parts, but provided that you are in warm room and your normal body temp is 96.6, when you touch your tortoise it usually feels much cooler than your hand. After nice warm bath that difference between your own hand and their body heat is much smaller, isn't it? And speaking of gun thermometer, omg!!! The best invention ever!!! I love mine! ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1496079132.368823.jpg

Pearly

5 Year Member
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1496079224.864556.jpg see how deep in water Shellie is? She has a choice the itger end of the tub is much more shallow yet they both gravitate towards the drain (deeper) side. THEY ARE NEVER LEFT UNATTENDED. I usually find something to do while bathing them so I can be right there keeping an eye on them

Pearly

5 Year Member
POOPER SCOOPER - this has been ... an issue! And I'm still looking for perfect solution. For now I have this drain sieve ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1496079841.753674.jpg I am still working on making all that more "user friendly":) ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1496079930.136568.jpg i catch all poo with this and since my torts are usually well hydrated/never constipated their poo is always very soft so yes, it does get pretty gross... but hey! I change the water and it's all good! When draining water, I invert the "scooper" hat side up and place it over the drain to trap anything bigger than my city-plumbing-pipes would like.

Pearly

5 Year Member
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1496080387.174365.jpg my torties love strawberry tops and the whole berries. I usually put some of their favs in their bath like mushroom, of radicchio, pieces of fruit, and I think over time it has worked favorably by positive association. There is no freaking out, or pulling inside shells. They just chill. About once a week we do a coconut oil rub after bath, and they don't mind that either. I get a real good light and my glasses on and while rubbing them down with coco oil I carefully examine every square inch of their bodyImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1496080971.667518.jpg their eyes, nose, skin, all the scales and shells for any signs of problems, injury, insects/parasites, etc.

kathyth

10 Year Member!
Beaumont, CA.
Thank you so much for sharing this valuable info your torts are beautiful!!

MPRC

5 Year Member
Oregon
They are getting big! I toss all 6 of mine into the same bath and they all usually struggle for a minute and then start drinking and relax.

Pearly

5 Year Member
They are getting big! I toss all 6 of mine into the same bath and they all usually struggle for a minute and then start drinking and relax.
I can't believe your tort family grew up to 6! Love it!!!! I can totally see myself adopting/rescuing few more. I'm a sucker just like you! Especially for the "sick, injured/abused"

MPRC

5 Year Member
Oregon
6 is the limit for now, though I do have 3 eggs cooking.

MPRC

5 Year Member
Oregon
Vern is about 12 and Red (the one who has laid) is about 10. Rambo (9) is big enough/old enough as well, but I think she might be thwarting Vern's advances, when she sees him coming she plants her behind flat to the ground so he can't seal the deal.

Pearly

5 Year Member
Vern is about 12 and Red (the one who has laid) is about 10. Rambo (9) is big enough/old enough as well, but I think she might be thwarting Vern's advances, when she sees him coming she plants her behind flat to the ground so he can't seal the deal.
"Seal the deal" hah?!:) LMBO!!!!

Pearly

5 Year Member
That's a GOOD looking bath.
Mine are outside soaking in mud puddles and they think they have it so good......
Mine would much rather have this what you provide I just have yet to figure out the wading pool situation here without making my backyard frckn mosquito country worst than it already is