PB/PP

Amanda81

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Northeast Tennessee
I noticed these two yesterday, thought I would read up because I really like the shell pattern of the Leopards but love the larger size of the Sulcata. So I read one thing and it talks like the PB is the size (maybe an inch or two smaller) then the Sulcata, sometimes referring to them as giants. Then of course the next thing I read says the PB is around 10" smaller then Sulacta and that PP are only "slightly" larger then PB. Now I'm confused and frustrated. I understand it different with w each individual and an unusually large on can b produced (seen photo of one a man named Richard fife had) but I mean as for your everyday purchased from breeder PP, what size can b expected? Can anyone clarify this for me. Just plain old average measurements in number form of the PP, PB, and the Sulacata. Please.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
I only keep PB but everything I'm familiar with says the PP are the larger more "sulcata like"
You also have less breeders to choose from and will pay possibly 3x more.

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
In general, you could expect S.p. to grow larger than the S.b. variant. In the wilds of Africa, S.b.'s will grow larger in certain areas, but as far as I know, none of these variants have made it to the US.

There's a lot of variability. The best way to get a reasonable estimate on how large your tortoise will get is to see the producing adults. S.b.'s will usually be between 10 and 16 inches. S.p.'s will be a bit larger, maybe max out around 20 - 22 inches. Larger sizes are certainly not unheard of.

Amanda81

5 Year Member
Northeast Tennessee
I only keep PB but everything I'm familiar with says the PP are the larger more "sulcata like"
You also have less breeders to choose from and will pay possibly 3x more.
Yes I did notice that the price is a lot higher. I wasn't for sure if the larger price tag was due to the larger size (if there was a big size difference) or it was due to their differ pattern. I mean, and this is me personally, I do think the pattern/extra dots are beautiful and their spotted skin is adorable but an 150-250 extra dollars is a little much. Now if they was considerably larger I could might see that price difference. Now that's me personally. I do tend to either like real large things or real small things, not really medium things. I think the PB are just as cute. I did read that the PB are less social then the PP, is this true?

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Yes I did notice that the price is a lot higher. I wasn't for sure if the larger price tag was due to the larger size (if there was a big size difference) or it was due to their differ pattern. I mean, and this is me personally, I do think the pattern/extra dots are beautiful and their spotted skin is adorable but an 150-250 extra dollars is a little much. Now if they was considerably larger I could might see that price difference. Now that's me personally. I do tend to either like real large things or real small things, not really medium things. I think the PB are just as cute. I did read that the PB are less social then the PP, is this true?

I would attribute the higher price or South African leopards to the relatively less availability of "pure" specimens vs. the babcocki.

A lot of different perspectives on one variant being more social or personable than the other and why that might be. I am of the opinion that there is no consistent differences, as far as behavior and personality, between the two.