PayPal Friends/Family

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Earth
I process all of my transactions through Square because I have had a few headaches with Paypal as the SELLER, never any issues as a buyer though.

Once a few years ago I had a clients b!tch and moan until I agreed to take their paypal payment instead of them handing me a credit card to run through my reader or handing me a check there in person.

When they got their statement at the end of the month they "didn't recognize" the name "LaDuke Photography" (despite the fact that I had just photographed their wedding and at a steep discount because I am a sucker for a sob story). They disputed it with Paypal and were instantly given their money back out of MY pocket. After they dodged a ton of calls from me I showed up on their porch to ask "what gives?" and they told me it was their elderly mother's card and that I needed to talk to her. I contacted paypal and told them my side of things and they credited me back. Then the client disputed it again, but I had already cashed out the money because I feared it would happen again. In the end I got paid AND the client didn't pay anything because they got credited back. They STILL haven't ordered any prints, but at least they didn't leave me a bad review for the mess that resulted from it.

The moral of this story is that if you are stubborn and persistent Paypal will pay you off to make you go away.

Where you are both in the same area, I'd wonder if you could turn it over to the county, like you'd do with a bad check.

MPRC

5 Year Member
Oregon
I'm also an online seller (Etsy), so I understand how nutty & stupid customers can be, but thankfully (knock on wood) have never had the displeasure of selling with a customer dispute. I don't use the friend/family feature.

Amen to that. I am an Etsy seller too. If I have learned anything in my year on Etsy it is that you ALWAYS include a tracking number...way too many people claim the package "never arrived" and I think most of them are being dishonest.

I don't have time to earn one dollar twice.

I've let a lot of smaller debts slide, but when you owe me several hundred bucks I'm going to collect.

Big Charlie

5 Year Member
California
All above are exactly correct. So for example, I sell a Radiated Tortoise to Jazie. Payment is made via regular Paypal. I ship the tortoise and it is received perfectly healthy. Then the next day Jaizei contacts paypal about her credit card being compromised or claims the item received was damaged, dead, etc. Paypal will issue a refund to the buyer and the seller is s.o.l. If payment made by Paypal friend or family, the funds are paid via the checking account connected with the Paypal buyer. If there is a problem, PayPal will side with the seller under these circumstances.
As Pete said above, Have very good communication with the seller, via phone calls, e-mail, text what have you. When you are sure you are dealing with a responsible seller, pull the trigger on the deal. I am currently in the process of selling a couple of Rads to two different people, I have spoken to both parties twice and replied to at least a dozen texts and e-mails. I want to make sure the buyer is comfortable with their purchases. These are high dollar animals and I want to make sure they are ok with what they are getting.

I have to disagree with this. I've bought and sold over 1000 things through Paypal. I had a buyer file a credit card dispute, saying she didn't authorize the payment. All I had to do is provide the tracking number that showed the item was delivered to her paypal address. With Paypal seller protection, I was not on the hook. Whether or not she won her credit card dispute, I don't know, but I didn't lose the money.

I would not buy through friends and family unless I personally knew the person I was purchasing from.

naturalman91

5 Year Member
Medford Oregon
just recieved this from the email linked to my pay pal from paypal might help someone here

NOTICE OF CLASS-ACTION SETTLEMENT.
img_spacer.gif

img_spacer.gif

THIS NOTICE MAY AFFECT YOUR RIGHTS. PLEASE READ IT CAREFULLY.

A settlement has been reached in a class action in which the plaintiffs allege, among other things, thatPayPal improperly handled disputed transactions on PayPal accounts and improperly placed holds and reserves on accounts or closed or suspended accounts. Plaintiffs also allege that PayPal failed to provide annual error-resolution notices and monthly account statements under the Electronic Fund Transfer Act.

You are a member of the Settlement Class if you had an active PayPal account between April 19, 2006 and Nov. 5, 2015. Certain Settlement Class Members who had a hold or reserve placed on their account and/or who had their account closed or suspended by PayPal are eligible to receive a monetary payment upon submission of a valid claim form.

This notice summarizes the proposed settlement. For the precise terms and conditions of the settlement, please see the Settlement Agreement available at http://www.accountholdsettlement.com/, by accessing the Court docket in this case through the Court's Public Access to Court Electronic Records (PACER) system at https://ecf.cand.uscourts.gov, or by visiting the office of the Clerk of the Court for the United States District Court for the Northern District of California, 1301 Clay Street, Oakland, CA 94612, between 9:00 a.m. and 4:00 p.m., Monday through Friday, excluding Court holidays.

PLEASE DO NOT TELEPHONE THE COURT OR THE COURT CLERK'S OFFICE TO INQUIRE ABOUT THIS SETTLEMENT OR THE CLAIM PROCESS.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
the problem of class action suits is you usually get a dollar the lawyer gets 10 million

MPRC

5 Year Member
Oregon
I got $3 from a razor company once. I have no idea how they even got my info.