Payday! But... what seeds do I buy? too many options!

chaseswife

5 Year Member
I have a baby sulcata, (shrimp) and I would really like to buy some of the special "tortoise seed mix" to start growing for him. I am thinking trays in the window, a small play-pen type box in the back yard for him, and a possible system to grow seed right in his habitat. But looking at online sellers, there are just too many options! Does anyone have any recommendations for who to buy from, and what to buy from them? I really don't think that buying 15 different seed mixes is something I need to do... but it is for some reason very tempting to me.

I also found someone selling hibiscus seeds that I am going to try- are there any other plants that would be good to grow from seed? I see lots of lists of plants that are okay for tortoises to eat, but I hate the idea of adding chemicals to his habitat , but I don't know which ones I can get seeds for easily. Right now he just has some butter lettuce planted in his habitat. but I know I need other growing things for him. He has had lots of greens from the grocery store, and he has been grazing outside a bit during his sunning time. I know I need to do better for him- plus the bug guy came yesterday. He comes every other month and sprays the perimeter of the house and our block wall. He doesn't do the grass in the middle of the yard, but over-spray issues are making me paranoid about letting shrimp roam outside. I feel like a good amount of time needs to pass before I can let him out there again.

leigti

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
southeast Washington
You can look at tortoisesupply.com or Carolinapetsupply.com They each have seed mixes with a bunch of different kinds of seeds in one mix specifically for grazing tortoises. I bought mixes specifically for my Russian tortoise from each place and mix them together then planted them in the outdoor enclosure and indoors in the window. They grow fast and my tortoise likes them.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
I just ordered some tortoise seed mix from Carolina Pet Supply, it's on it's way now. They seem to come highly recommended.

chaseswife

5 Year Member
Okay- I looked at Carolina pet supply. I love that they have free shipping! And I went a little crazy. I had to go back through and delete over half the stuff out of my shopping cart. I think i am getting 2 of the flowering pretty things, plantains, and 1 pound of the grazing mix.

Abdulla6169

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Dubai/New York
I wait for the plants to grow up, then cut and add to my tort's food. Cheaper that way :D!

Abdulla6169

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Dubai/New York

Jabuticaba

5 Year Member
Winnipeg, MB
I wait for the plants to grow up, then cut and add to my tort's food. Cheaper that way :D!
Yeah, but your weather allows for plant growth year round. Not fair! LOL!

May
THBs: Darwin & Merlin
Aussies: Dax, Vegas, & Cricket
IG: @AUSSOMEAUSSIES

Abdulla6169

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Dubai/New York
Yeah, but your weather allows for plant growth year round. Not fair! LOL!

May
THBs: Darwin & Merlin
Aussies: Dax, Vegas, & Cricket
IG: @AUSSOMEAUSSIES
Its also not fair I don't have clover growing in the yard :p Its surprising how many plants take the heat so well. Winter is when the weather turns nice here, warm days and cool nights. Sometimes the city is enveloped in fog, when that happens we actually feel the sun at around 10 pm.

chaseswife

5 Year Member
K- another question for you guys- i am getting a plastic bin ready for a small outside enclosure. I want to put dirt and seeds in there, should I drill holes in the bottom for drainage?

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
I would, especially if you plan to have your tort in there, in the open and there's any chance it could rain. A week or so ago, flash flooding in AZ there was a member on here that described how his kiddy pool filled up from the deluge, almost drowning his tort. So, I would drill holes: smaller drainage holes on the bottom to let any overwatering of the seeds escape; some larger 1/4 inch or 1/2 inch a few inches up just as safety precaution. The holes can't hurt, and could save your tort's life (if flooded).

chaseswife

5 Year Member
I saw that post! So scary, thank you for reminding me. Shrimp is still pretty small, so he is just outside 30 -60 minutes a day. I will still go ahead and add some drain holes.

Abdulla6169

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Dubai/New York
I saw that post! So scary, thank you for reminding me. Shrimp is still pretty small, so he is just outside 30 -60 minutes a day. I will still go ahead and add some drain holes.
Make the holes big; I believe that member already had drilled holes in the enclosure!