Pattern on shell?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scotts_Radiated

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Orlando, Fl
I was curious if anyone knows what changes occur with shell pattern during the tort maturing from juvenile to adult. I was told my tort is about 3 yrs old and he's almost 5" . Should i expect more, less, or no change in yellow radiating pattern? I also plan to get a few more torts in the near future and was wondering if that is something to consider.
The breeder i got him from said that one of the important factors was lots of yellow skin and i don't know if he was just saying that because the one he was selling me had very little black skin on his head.

Scott

gummybearpoop

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Scotts_Radiated said:
I was curious if anyone knows what changes occur with shell pattern during the tort maturing from juvenile to adult. I was told my tort is about 3 yrs old and he's almost 5" . Should i expect more, less, or no change in yellow radiating pattern? I also plan to get a few more torts in the near future and was wondering if that is something to consider.
The breeder i got him from said that one of the important factors was lots of yellow skin and i don't know if he was just saying that because the one he was selling me had very little black skin on his head.

Scott

Scott,
my radiata are still under a year old and still changing pattern. I am not sure when radiata stop developing yellow rays, but I have never heard of yellow skin being an important factor. My highest yellow tortoises have black heads, while the two yellow heads are somewhere in the middle as far as yellow patterns go.

I do not think your tortoise will get that much more yellow at that age, but don't quote me.

I think within 6 months, you can get a good idea of how much yellow pattern your tortoise will get. I am sure there are exceptions to the rule though. In a few days, I will post pics of how one of my radiata has developed in 4 months.

I think Dr. Zovickian can help you out most since he was the first person to breed 1st and 2nd generations of radiata and also has some very high yellow animals. He always posts on kingsnake.com

Post pics of your radiata.

Scotts_Radiated

5 Year Member
Orlando, Fl
Thanks for the info gummybearpoop. My tort has some yellow areas at the edge of a few scutes on top of his carapace and i was wondering if there was a chance of them progressing towards the middle of each scute.

I looked forard to seeing some more pics of your radiata. I will snap some pics this weekend and attempt to post them.

Dr. Zovickian has 3 of his radiata's posted on kingsnake for sale. I frequent there classified posts daily but there forum doesn't seem to get very much traffic and i really don't care for the format of the forum

gummybearpoop

10 Year Member!
Arizona
I don't get on their forums much either, but you can contact Dr. Zovickian via kingsnake. His email address is on his classifieds/forum posts. He probably answered about 3,500 questions of mine regarding radiateds, ploughshares, burmese stars, sri lankan stars, & pyxis tortoises.

gummybearpoop

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Scott here is some pics of one of my youngest radiata (4-6 months old I think).

The time difference between the two sets of pics is 2 months..

Side view when I first got the radiata
a1.jpg

Side view 2 months later
b1.jpg

Top view when I first got the radiata
a2.jpg

Top view 2 months later
b2.jpg

I have been kinda lazy to take new pics and also my camera has been acting up.

Sunrise

5 Year Member
nice..the yellow is so bright.
btw anyone has the link of Dr. Zovickian's website?
any pictures of his high yellow radiata?

TIA.

Stephanie Logan

10 Year Member!
Colorado
How much do Radiateds cost? What are their personalities like? Do they hibernate? I would love to get one someday, but I'm afraid they may be out of my price range.:p

They are gorgeous!:D

shelber10

10 Year Member!
long island NY
they cost about 1000 a baby. they are friendly and personal. they do not hibernate. and you may need a CBW permit.

gummybearpoop

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Dr Zovickian does NOT have a website. He does post radiateds for sale frequently on kingsnake.com...you can contact him there for sale inquiries and pics.

rad8ted92083

5 Year Member
I have radiata and they have almost all yellow heads and black heads and one thing is for sure the older they get the more yellow each gets

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
I was visiting Bill [ Dr. Z ] a little while back and took a few pics of a few of his 'keepers'.. they look nice but had the personality of a rock. I was there about 4 hours and not one of them moved an inch.

Don't tell him I posted these....... are you ready????? Shy 6" SCL

2Radiata2.jpg

1Radiata2.jpg

Absolutely spectacular looking rocks! He had a 12" male that followed us around like a puppy!

NERD

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Puts me in mind of a hard candy we used to buy way back in the olden days. I think it was either licorice or some sort of molasses. What pretty rocks.

gummybearpoop

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Nice pics Terry! I have pics of those animals as well, but they were taken by Dr. Z.

One day I hope to visit his facilities. My girlfriend wants to visit his state, so I am all for her desire!

S

Scooter

Wow those are beautiful! I have had the chance to work with this species before and fell in love with them, though they are out of my price range.

KQ6AR

10 Year Member!
Concord, CA
I'm tempted to sell all my corals in my 300 gal reef tank, & set up a Radiata table on the stand. 8'x30" almost perfect.

Those are some beautiful animals.

gummybearpoop

10 Year Member!
Arizona
definately worth the sacrifice!

Radiateds are such interesting and beautiful animals. Very hardy as well

Status
Not open for further replies.