Status
Not open for further replies.

kanalomele

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
East Bay area
Leos are my next tort for sure. So I'm trying to figure out the differences between the subspecies. Is there external differences, how do you identify one without knowing the breeder. Can they be housed together, kept under the same conditions? Will they breed with one another? Is there one that is more timid vs social?
Thanks for any information. I love this forum for just this reason. I can ask a newbie question and know I'm going to get the best answer possible.

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
kanalomele said:
Leos are my next tort for sure. So I'm trying to figure out the differences between the subspecies. Is there external differences, how do you identify one without knowing the breeder. Can they be housed together, kept under the same conditions? Will they breed with one another? Is there one that is more timid vs social?
Thanks for any information. I love this forum for just this reason. I can ask a newbie question and know I'm going to get the best answer possible.

The link that Jaizei provided will show you the physical differences.

- They can be housed in identical conditions successfully, though you will probably want more space for the South African variety.

- Yes they can breed with each other. A lot of people do it, and as a result the genetics we have access to in the US are commonly mixed up of both.

- Depends on who you talk to. Some say there is no difference, some say there is a big difference. I have not noticed any significant social or behavior differences.

kanalomele

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
East Bay area
Thank-you both so much. That thread was jam packed with great information and pics Neal. It was just what I needed.

Greg T

10 Year Member!
League City, TX
It is much more difficult to fnd a true pardalis pardalis. Most leopards will either be babcocki or a mix. If you find a breeder touting true P.P. babies, make him prove it because they will ask for top dollar versus the average price for the others. As far as the other qualities, I don't believe there is much difference between them.

Status
Not open for further replies.