Papaya Leaves

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nobody

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Philippines
Are papaya leaves good for Sulcatas?Can they be fed safely to them often as part of a varied diet?
Thanks.

exoticsdr

5 Year Member
Today is my birthday!
Southeast Texas
So far, I've only found references to them being toxic to most species, though have found many of those references disagreeing on the degree of toxicity. They are pretty for sure, but I wouldn't feed them.

Doc

Nobody said:
Are papaya leaves good for Sulcatas?Can they be fed safely to them often as part of a varied diet?
Thanks.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Nobody:

No, your sulcata should not be getting papaya. They should only have a bite of fruit, any kind of fruit, as a special treat.

CGKeith

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Arizona
We have papaya/pawpaw leaves as safe on the stickied/important threads list for foods for desert dwelling tortoises.

Can we double check this?

exoticsdr

5 Year Member
Today is my birthday!
Southeast Texas
I really doubt that desert dwelling tortoises would every come into contact with papaya leaves or pawpaw leaves as both require alot of moisture to thrive...that said, I've really found nothing concrete on tortoise species for papaya leaves. Pawpaw grows along rivers in many parts of the US and the deer don't touch it, so who knows if it is a good browse or not. If you find anything definitive, please let us know, would love to grow some papaya plants in my tort enclosures.

HLogic

5 Year Member
Florida, USA
Papaya (Carica papaya) and North American Pawpaw (Asimina triloba) are two different plants.

From what I can find papaya, the tropical fruit, has no particular toxicity. There is a contraceptive effect from the consumption of the seeds with respect to sperm production/viability (in rats), however. I feed the fruit to my tropical torts on an infrequent basis.

The North American Pawpaw, on the other hand, exhibits toxicity on multiple levels due to the number and nature of the acetogenin content of the plant. Under no circumstances should it be fed but I doubt they would eat it in any case.

Status
Not open for further replies.