Panic buying

Alicia Graham

Went to my supermarket which had 2 bags of lettuce. My older tortoise only eats Florettes crispy lettuce (and other vegetables of course) and my younger one will eat anything. What’s everyone doing about the shortages? Older one will eat pellets and hay at times but I haven’t tried the younger one with pellets as she’s still quite small. Can’t believe people are buying so much lettuce ?

ZenHerper

Location (City and/or State)
New Jersey
This is where a good relationship with store personnel comes in handy!

Call the store and ask to speak to the produce manager. Ask when they expect their next supply truck. Most retailers' warehouses are not depleted, but the reorder-supply system is overloaded. Product may well be on site at the store, but stock employees are overwhelmed and behind with unboxing. Always ask before you leave the store.

As long as you are respectful and appreciative, most store staff are more than happy to help customers keep their families going.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
This never even occurred to me because I don't use grocery store food to feed my tortoises. Wow. This is a problem right now for people who do!

Maybe this will force some people to start finding or growing some better foods for their tortoises. Here is a small, starter list of non-grocery store foods for people to look for:
Mulberry leaves
Grape vine leaves
Hibiscus leaves
African hibiscus leaves
Blue hibiscus leaves
Rose of Sharon leaves
Rose leaves
Geraniums
Gazanias
Lavatera
Pansies
Petunias
Hostas
Honeysuckle
Cape honeysuckle
Leaves and blooms from any squash plant, like pumpkin, cucumber, summer squash, etc...
Young spineless opuntia cactus pads

Weeds:
There are soooooooo many...
Dandelion
Mallow
Filaree
Smooth Sow thistle
Prickly Sow thistle
Milk thistle
Goat head weed
Cats ear
Nettles
Trefoil
Wild onion
Wild mustard
Wild Garlic
Clovers
Broadleaf plantain
Narrow leaf plantain
Chick weed
Hawksbit
Hensbit
Hawksbeard

Other good stuff:
"Testudo Seed Mix" from http://www.tortoisesupply.com/SeedMixes
Pasture mixes or other seeds from http://www.groworganic.com/seeds.html
Homegrown alfalfa
Mazuri Tortoise Chow
ZooMed Grassland Tortoise Food

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
That’s interesting; our stores have vegetables and fruit; nothing else. I suppose I didn’t check the lettuce.

I stocked up on some of the lettuces that keep longer last week (mostly frisee) along with other foods so I’ve got backup when they run out. Tomorrow will be a weed forage. Our tortoise is outdoors and it’s been rainy a few days so she fortunately hasn’t eaten much as she usually would.

Where do you live? You might have some options you haven’t thought about.

SPILL

Illinois
It might be worth a look at ethnic grocers if you have any. They aren't likely to have lettuce but lots of good alternatives.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
It might be worth a look at ethnic grocers if you have any. They aren't likely to have lettuce but lots of good alternatives.

Our “International Market“ was fully stocked with most things. This is where we get our Sully cactus pads & dandelion greens. All good. I think are we are fully stocked. Tonight is cabbage vegetable soup. Carrots, poblano peppers, Spanish onions, celery, chicken broth stock.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
This never even occurred to me because I don't use grocery store food to feed my tortoises. Wow. This is a problem right now for people who do!

Maybe this will force some people to start finding or growing some better foods for their tortoises. Here is a small, starter list of non-grocery store foods for people to look for:
Mulberry leaves
Grape vine leaves
Hibiscus leaves
African hibiscus leaves
Blue hibiscus leaves
Rose of Sharon leaves
Rose leaves
Geraniums
Gazanias
Lavatera
Pansies
Petunias
Hostas
Honeysuckle
Cape honeysuckle
Leaves and blooms from any squash plant, like pumpkin, cucumber, summer squash, etc...

Weeds:
Dandelion
Mallow
Filaree
Smooth Sow thistle
Prickly Sow thistle
Milk thistle
Goat head weed
Cats ear
Nettles
Trefoil
Wild onion
Wild mustard
Wild Garlic
Clovers
Broadleaf plantain
Narrow leaf plantain
Chick weed
Hawksbit
Hensbit
Hawksbeard

Other good stuff:
Homegrown alfalfa
Mazuri Tortoise Chow
With this list. Or knowledge of what your tortoise can eat. Finding food will be relatively simple.
Although some of the foods might disappear for a while.

Chiquita's Mom

5 Year Member
Central Texas
I have a gulf coast box turtle that despises her veggies so I don't have that issue, but I have been growing "salad spouts" in my house with great success for myself personally. I wonder if there would be some tort favorites? I personally grow buckwheat, sunflower, radish, pea and broccoli sprouts. You start them in a dark cabinet and finish on the window sill- no special lights needed. I have this book called "Year-Round Indoor Salad Gardening" by Peter Burke that explains the process. It takes a little time each day, but for me it's satisfying and might be a nice addition to their diet? I have an outdoor enclosure and I planted Kale and dandelions last year. The kale even made it through the winter freeze, but she won't touch the stuff (though my dogs go crazy over it).

queen koopa

Las Vegas Nevada
Yeah where do you live? Perfect weather for lettuce growing right now. We were lucky in Las Vegas finally and had a ton of rain and ALL my lettuce sprouted. With good sunlight you could grow in pots on a outdoor patio. I know this doesn’t help for right now, but for future ? lettuce and greens can be grown indoors with a grow light. Or check out any plants from the list Tom posted above.

Alicia Graham

Yeah where do you live? Perfect weather for lettuce growing right now. We were lucky in Las Vegas finally and had a ton of rain and ALL my lettuce sprouted. With good sunlight you could grow in pots on a outdoor patio. I know this doesn’t help for right now, but for future ? lettuce and greens can be grown indoors with a grow light. Or check out any plants from the list Tom posted above.
I’m from Ireland so there aren’t many lettuce growers out there. I grow my lettuce and weeds in the summer and buy them in the winter. There’s a few growing beside his tank and I’ve got a big planter with seeds in it which I’m growing. I’ve also been trying hydroponics. Lettuce won’t be ready for another few weeks so I’ve been feeding them more hay and stocking up on any lettuce I can find. If it hadve happened during summer we would’ve been fine but we should be alright with all the lettuce growing.

Alicia Graham

Mulberry leaves
Grape vine leaves
Hibiscus leaves
African hibiscus leaves
Blue hibiscus leaves
Rose of Sharon leaves
Rose leaves
Geraniums
Gazanias
Lavatera
Pansies
Petunias
Hostas
Honeysuckle
Cape honeysuckle

Weeds:
Dandelion
Mallow
Filaree
Smooth Sow thistle
Prickly Sow thistle
Milk thistle
Goat head weed
Cats ear
Nettles
Trefoil
Wild onion
Wild mustard
Wild Garlic
Clovers
Broadleaf plantain
Narrow leaf plantain
Chick weed
Hawksbit
Hensbit
Hawksbeard

Other good stuff:
Homegrown alfalfa
Mazuri Tortoise Chow
I usually grow everything in the summer but the weather in Ireland isn’t great for growing at the minute. aren’t many growers either sadly. Thanks for the list I’ll try have a look for some!

DJ Kirk

Guelph, Ontario, Canada
Panic buying is being overbown by the media. That's all.
Went to my local supermarket yesterday and they had everything I needed - sure the shelves were a little understocked but lots for everyone.
Maybe it's different in other areas but here we seem to be fine.

Get a grip people. Don't hoard. There is enough to go around for everyone. This isn't the Walking Dead. This is reality.

Chiquita's Mom

5 Year Member
Central Texas
Panic buying is being overbown by the media. That's all.
Went to my local supermarket yesterday and they had everything I needed - sure the shelves were a little understocked but lots for everyone.
Maybe it's different in other areas but here we seem to be fine.

Get a grip people. Don't hoard. There is enough to go around for everyone. This isn't the Walking Dead. This is reality.
Where I am in Texas the stores are picked clean and having to shorten their hours. Luckily, I've always kept extras by nature--dried beans and grains, canned goods, etc. (except we almost had a toilet paper emergency when we were down to the last roll and couldn't find any, and finally found ONE PACK left at the store.) I totally agree that people are watching/reading the news and panicking/stockpiling-it's insanity. But the shortage issue is very real here where I am as far as being understocked. For me, this is a lesson for the future in always being prepared and not waiting for a "situation" to have emergency supplies.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
When I went into town last Thursday to do my grocery shopping I came home, having forgotten to buy paper towels. Not really an emergency if you run out and don't have any, but a drastic inconvenience because I really depend upon using them for many, many things. So rather than break my rule of only one trip a week into town, I went to my friend smile.amazon.com and ordered a package of Bounty online. I haven't received it yet, but I also haven't received any notification that it's out of stock. Luckily I still have many rolls of T-paper on hand.

Speaking of T-paper, I remember a time when I would go to the store and buy 2 four-packs of T-paper and being sort of ashamed for other shoppers to see that much T-paper in my cart. I was a young mother with three small children and the one 4-pack I used to buy wasn't lasting a week, so I had to buy more. Now-a-days they sell these humongous packages of T-paper that last this little old lady a couple months!

Salisbury
Went to my supermarket which had 2 bags of lettuce. My older tortoise only eats Florettes crispy lettuce (and other vegetables of course) and my younger one will eat anything. What’s everyone doing about the shortages? Older one will eat pellets and hay at times but I haven’t tried the younger one with pellets as she’s still quite small. Can’t believe people are buying so much lettuce ?
You could look around outside for things like dandelion,nettles and any other weed that is tortoise safe. If your tortoises only eats veggies you could see if someone you know may be growing lettuce,carrots and you could ask for mabey the ones that are mis-shapened or other things like that.

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
Turnips and radishes will sprout in low light; they are winter crops here. And the leaves grow really fast. I’d try them under a grow light or even in a window.

Chiquita's Mom

5 Year Member
Central Texas
sprouts.JPG
This is an example of my sprouts---about 4 days in a dark cupboard and 3 or 4 days on the windowsill and they're done. I could imagine a tortoise mowing through them =) I'll have more starting in the cabinet so I always have a supply. A tsp to Tablespoon of soaked sprouting seeds in each tin depending on the type, sitting on top of the soil (inexpensive homemade mix) so it's not too messy. Very nutritious!

smarch

5 Year Member
Massachusetts
I’ve actually been thinking the same. I’m in MA, I don’t have a yard so I can’t think to grow cold crops, but also it’s too cold for yard weeds to have grown back yet, my parents yard is still mush. I have some greens on hand, I guess if I run out and can’t find anything I have tons of mazuri and grassland tortoise pellets because franklin refuses to eat them... but after a few days I bet he’ll cave in and get hungry enough.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
View attachment 288141
This is an example of my sprouts---about 4 days in a dark cupboard and 3 or 4 days on the windowsill and they're done. I could imagine a tortoise mowing through them =) I'll have more starting in the cabinet so I always have a supply. A tsp to Tablespoon of soaked sprouting seeds in each tin depending on the type, sitting on top of the soil (inexpensive homemade mix) so it's not too messy. Very nutritious!

Those look great, what all do you have there.? Far right, some kind of squash I see.