Pancake tortoise

katfinlou

5 Year Member
Hi, don’t know where to post this but I really hope someone can help. My son has a test at college today, he has to feed a pancake tortoise while being assessed. He knows what to feed, but we can’t find anything on how much to feed. Can anyone help? Thank you

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Richmond, VA
a pile about the size of the shell, the tort will then eat what it wants. Clean up the leftover the next day before adding new

PiL71

5 Year Member
Massachusetts
Pretty much what Blackdog1714 said, but allow the pancake tortoise up to 24 hours to completely consume everything it may want to. Oftentimes, because (this is just what I've seen, and it may not be true for everyone) captive tortoises live alone, with little to fear from predation, they'll leave their food for a while and then come back. Walking away does not mean they are done necessarily, but walking does actually help with their digestion, similarly to horses. Let me know how it goes!

katfinlou

5 Year Member
Thank you all very much for your advice. My son has autism and has struggled his entire life in school, but he has really blossomed on this animal care college course - even befriending a parrot that will bite anyone else who tries to approach her!

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
I would probably fail. I didn't catch the fact that he was asking for his test. I thought it was because he had the test and you had to offer the food. Makes sense ast why he couldn't have time in a day to feed the tortoise:p

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
I know when you ask a question you don't want to get a bunch of questions, I can't help myself in this case.

What college, what class, and who is the professor? OMG I'm crawling with curiosity of this.

katfinlou

5 Year Member
I know when you ask a question you don't want to get a bunch of questions, I can't help myself in this case.

What college, what class, and who is the professor? OMG I'm crawling with curiosity of this.
Hi. We are in the UK. It’s a beautiful college called Kirkley Hall and it has its own zoo. The course is animal management and care. He has had a fantastic time there and has made some wonderful friends, both animal and human! Picture is Henrietta who hates everyone except my boy lol.

Attachments

• 9D315326-EA98-4AB5-A442-31C62282B5CB.png
    9D315326-EA98-4AB5-A442-31C62282B5CB.png
    9 MB · Views: 7