Pancake Tortoise Question...

Status
Not open for further replies.

hannahlouise12

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
East Grand Forks, MN
Hi everyone, I was just wondering if anyone could tell me about their personal experiences with pancake tortoises. For example, are they generally shy or outgoing? Do they tend to hide in their rocks all the time or are they active?

I am planning on getting a pancake tortoise this summer after I graduate and want to learn more about them!

Thanks in advance!

johanna

5 Year Member
Fargo, ND
Mine are a little of both. They can hide for days but sometimes they run around their enclosure. I'd say they hide more than they are out. My younger one is more shy and my older one is pretty outgoing. Hes a little nervous but lets me handle him and will eat food from my hands. Neither of them are scared of me, just a little shy. They will go in their shell when I pick them up or spook them, but normally they relax quickly and resume what they were doing. When I soak them they run around the sink. When I rearrange their enclosure they get super active and love to explore. If I havent rearranged for a while they just hide all the time.

gopherhockey03

5 Year Member
East Grand Forks
johanna said:
Mine are a little of both. They can hide for days but sometimes they run around their enclosure. I'd say they hide more than they are out. My younger one is more shy and my older one is pretty outgoing. Hes a little nervous but lets me handle him and will eat food from my hands. Neither of them are scared of me, just a little shy. They will go in their shell when I pick them up or spook them, but normally they relax quickly and resume what they were doing. When I soak them they run around the sink. When I rearrange their enclosure they get super active and love to explore. If I havent rearranged for a while they just hide all the time.

Johanna Hannah's from Grand Forks also btw! Our little ND tort club =)

And this is what GB (Tort pro) had to say on the matter ....I also have one more recent wild caught (within the last couple of years) that I received in a trade with a reptile vendor. She is actually the most active of the whole bunch. Be forewarned that most Pancake tortoises spend about 80% or more of their time in hiding. They do not come out and roam around like most other species. Don't get me wrong, they're beautiful and unique tortoises but very because of their natural environment have evolved to stay secure (and alive) by hiding in rock crevices. This instinct is very strong and even mine that have been in captivity for nearly two decades still spend most of the day hidden. Mine come out very briefly to bask and eat in the morning for about an hour, go back into hiding all day and then some will occasionally come back out to bask in the early evening. Only the one wild caught female is out often roaming around the enclosure and climbing around the rocks. The rest are all under the rocks!

hannahlouise12

5 Year Member
East Grand Forks, MN
johanna said:

Thanks for the info! Do you rearrange their enclosure a lot to keep them busy?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I have very little hands on experience with them, but I have researched them quite a bit. I think their personalities run the spectrum. One keeper tells me that when his are indoors for the winter they are really shy and hide a lot, but when they are outdoors for the rest of the year, they are very active outgoing and curious. I had another very experienced keeper tell me the exact opposite. I had some small CBB hatchlings in my care for about 6 weeks and they acted much like a sulcata or leopard baby. They were out and curious as much as any other hatchling.

johanna

5 Year Member
Fargo, ND
I didn't notice where you were from. Us rare north dakota people love to have a more rare tortoise I guess.
I do rearrange to keep them active. I don't rearrange often because I honestly don't know if they are active because it stresses them out or not. They actually seem to have a ton of fun when I rearrange. My boy climbs all over the place and will bask on top of rock, which he never does unless I rearrange.
I dont see much of a difference between outdoors and indoors. They walk around a lot when I put them outside but calm down and hide a lot after a few hours. Since I live in ND I only put them outside during the day and only on days over 80 degrees. I bring them in at night.
Even though they are reserved, I LOVE them.

iluvtorts

5 Year Member
I HAVE A TRIO. 1.2: THE TWO FEMALES PRETTY MUCH HIDE ALL OF THE TIME EXCEPT WHEN EATING. THEY WILL USUALLY HIDE WHEN I GET TOO CLOSE TO WATCH THEM. MY MALE IS MORE OUT GOING AND HE STILL HIDES ABOUT HALF THE TIME. HE DOES COME RUNNING OUT OF THE CAVE WHEN I BRING THE FOOD. HE ALSO LIKES TO BASK MORE THAN THE FEMALES. WHEN WE RECENTLY MOVED THE CAGE TO A NEW ROOM THEY ALL WERE MUCH MORE ACTIVE. HE ALSO LIKES TO CLIMB UP AND DOWN ON THE FLAGSTONE RAMPS AND RAMPS THAT WE HAVE IN THEIR ENCLOSURE. THEY ALL LIKE TO BE SOAKED AND SELDOM DEFECATE IN THERE ENCLOSURE. HE ALSO WILL COME AND EAT OUT OF HAND.

DriveWRX

5 Year Member
USA
I would say the ones I keep hide more than not.
I have seen some days when it seems all of them are out walking around. Maybe it has something to do with the weather conditions, I'm not sure. Mine are kept indoors, BTW.

Each tortoise has their own personalities too. I have some that are shy and don't like to eat when watched but others that come running when I feed them, even eating out of my hand.
One female becomes restless and starts climbing everything in her enclosure when I'm late for a feeding. :rolleyes:
Some let me scratch their heads and some enjoy a chin rub. Others don't like to be bothered at all.

tortoiseluvr

5 Year Member
I have three and I would say the personality varies for each tortoise. One of the females is very outgoing and likes her head rubbed, but the other female, who I have had the longest, is pretty shy along with the male. Mine generally spend most of the time tuck in hiding spots, but at feeding time they are very active. I have found them to be more active outdoors in the summer then indoors in the winter. They are really great tortoises and all have their own little personalities.

I have been trying to breed mine, but it is definitely tricky, so if you are buying to breed they may not be what you want. I have had my trio for over 2 years and I am just starting to get eggs from the females but all appear to be infertile. I have tons more I can tell you, so if you have any questions I would be happy to help :)

african cake queen

5 Year Member
ct.usa
hi, i have a pair of cakes. i love them very much. i think they hide alittle more in winter.if you do get a pancake, try and get a pair. they like each others company. good luck, post some pictures if you get some.

Status
Not open for further replies.