Pancake tortoise general info

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steph_84203

5 Year Member
Hello all,
I am newish to the pancake tortoise world (have had two sulcatas for alittle while now and am a reptile/elephant keeper). I have two and I want to know what I need to correct since personality wise and physically they seem very different from the torts I have experience with. Our enclosure is about 2ish feet by 4feet or so with a three layer climbing and hiding structure on one side made of rock. The substrate consists of 50-50ish combo organic garden soil and play sand. We have a Exo terra MVB running for them (used to have it on the side away from the climbing structure but they never sat under it so I moved it towards the center of the enclosure) There is also a LED daylight bulb for extra lighting and color. At night I run a CHE but I'm thinking from my reading that this might not be needed at this point. My temps range from high 90s very low 100s under the MVB with 80-85 being average throughout the exhibit and spots droping to 78-79 on the bottom level of the climbing structure on the substrate all during the day. At night under the CHE the temp is around 80 which seems pretty high after doing some reading. They have a dish to soak in and I soak them once or twice a week for about 10-15min in a seperate dish (they are about 4.5in SCL). Other than that there isnt much humidity and the substrate is dry at this point. I feed them similar to a sulcata with the majority of the diet being grasses and hay and then a "green" portion consisting of pricky pear pad, grape leaves, bristely oax tongue, carrot greens, mustard greens, collard greens, rose petals, and dandylion (when I can find a safe source). I have been supplementing with calcium without d3 once or twice a week since they don't seem to munch on their cuttlefish bone like the sulcatas. The problems we are having. They seem to just sleep out in the open on the rock landings to the climbing structure alot. Our female seemed lethargic and our male was all over the place and now they have seemed to flip flop in activity level. Our plastrons are soft (I dont know how soft is normal). Our females scutes on her carapace are concaved inward a bit (Again in almost all torts this is a bad thing but I wasn't sure in pancakes). Also our female does seem to "yawn" at least once or twice a day however her eyes and nostrils are clear without any discharge. Please let me know whenever anyone has time what is normal for these guys and what husbandry changes I need to make. Oh also we are in southern oregon and have a safe outdoor enclosure that our torts share (not in it at the same time between the different species but still use the same area as they swap in and out) we have recently the past couple weeks or so let them out for an hour or so a couple times a week when temps have been above 75ish. Thanks for everyones help

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Tropical South Texas
Seems perfect. Just be certain to use a large feeding plate. Ingestion of the play sand can result in fatal endings. I have experienced this many years ago when pancakes were very rare. It's still safe to use just be very cautious with them ingesting any. I keep mine rather dry but still spray them down everyday. They are awesome Torts just not as personal as the sulcatas. Diet is good maybe add some cactus I will also feed can't elope few times a month in the summer to "hydrate" since they are a very warm toe tatie required species. Would love photos of the enclosure. And welcome!

Steph_84203

5 Year Member
Thanks so much for the feedback. I make sure to use a plastic dish and I place that on one of the rock levels up off the ground level just to be safe. :) How did the shell discription sound to you? Does it sound normal? How about their behavior? I will attach some pictures of the inside enclosure and the pancakes themselves. Maples picture shows her shell. The stuff on her beak and feet is some hibiscus powder and calcium that was on her food before I took this picture. I will start spraying them down. Do you just use a squirt bottle on the mist setting and spray their shells and face alittle bit?

tortadise said:
Seems perfect. Just be certain to use a large feeding plate. Ingestion of the play sand can result in fatal endings. I have experienced this many years ago when pancakes were very rare. It's still safe to use just be very cautious with them ingesting any. I keep mine rather dry but still spray them down everyday. They are awesome Torts just not as personal as the sulcatas. Diet is good maybe add some cactus I will also feed can't elope few times a month in the summer to "hydrate" since they are a very warm toe tatie required species. Would love photos of the enclosure. And welcome!

Attachments

• maple.jpg
    maple.jpg
    405.3 KB · Views: 149
  • Both cakers.jpg
    Both cakers.jpg
    362.3 KB · Views: 125
  • John Wayne.jpg
    John Wayne.jpg
    434.8 KB · Views: 134
  • Enclosure.jpg
    Enclosure.jpg
    597.9 KB · Views: 127

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Her shell does look like the scutes aren't growing. However pancakes being a soft and flexible shell tortoise, is she eating good? I know one of my females I have seperately because she's a pig and will stretch too much.looks like she just needs some moisture and vitashell. I've never seen that in a pancake. I use a chemical sprayer and put it on mist.

Also if these are wild caught (which isn't a bad thing) could just be from an odd year of incubation temps in the wild that could of caused it. As well as captive incubation temp varieties.

Steph_84203

5 Year Member
She does eat well. Both are wild caught and they were 140g when we brought them home at the begining of feb. She is now 162g while he is still 140g. I will start misting them and maybe give them alittle humid spot by their heat source. Does it stand out as something alarming to you or just weird?
tortadise said:
Her shell does look like the scutes aren't growing. However pancakes being a soft and flexible shell tortoise, is she eating good? I know one of my females I have seperately because she's a pig and will stretch too much.looks like she just needs some moisture and vitashell. I've never seen that in a pancake. I use a chemical sprayer and put it on mist.

Also if these are wild caught (which isn't a bad thing) could just be from an odd year of incubation temps in the wild that could of caused it. As well as captive incubation temp varieties.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Hey!!! Happy to see you made it to our Forum!!! I have been talking to you on the other forum (I once visited that forum and when I was setting up my profile I must have clicked in a box that randomly emails me with postings....lol)as. Anyways...glad to have you here....there are loads of folks with great tortoise knowledge....enjoy and again, happy to see you here....

As I said on my other posts to you...moisture/a touch of humidity is necessary and now that I am able to see your torts I further recommend offering up some warm humidity....:D

Steph_84203

5 Year Member
Hello again! Glad you got to see the pictures of the baby cakes! Do you think that will be enough to correct things given all the information? I am a drama queen when it comes to our critters so I jump to crisis mode quick and have to bring myself back in lol. Do you currently have pancakes too? If so is there anyway I can talk you into talking a picture of the "gentel slope" idea for under the heat lamp with the slate we were talking about for me to see? Thanks for all your advice! :)
ascott said:
Hey!!! Happy to see you made it to our Forum!!! I have been talking to you on the other forum (I once visited that forum and when I was setting up my profile I must have clicked in a box that randomly emails me with postings....lol)as. Anyways...glad to have you here....there are loads of folks with great tortoise knowledge....enjoy and again, happy to see you here....

As I said on my other posts to you...moisture/a touch of humidity is necessary and now that I am able to see your torts I further recommend offering up some warm humidity....:D

johanna

5 Year Member
Fargo, ND
When I see that shell I think that maybe she was starved at some point in her life. Either in the wild or in captivity with someone.
Enclosure looks great. I prefer to keep mine outdoors when its warm out. I have the same problem as you with their behavior. They will flip flop on who is most active. Sometimes I have to take them out and put them in their food or they will just hide for days.

Steph_84203

5 Year Member
Ok so I have a couple more pictures of Maple. I had her outside today and when I picked her up I freaked out a bit. The bottom of her plastron is flakey and part is comming up. I have two pictures (I only manipulated the plastron for the picture I am too scared to mess with it again). The flakey part is very thin but I don't like what the underneath part looks like. (it does look clean though)
tortadise said:

Attachments

• Maple Plastron 1.jpg
    Maple Plastron 1.jpg
    401 KB · Views: 88
  • Maple Plastron 2.jpg
    Maple Plastron 2.jpg
    358.8 KB · Views: 100

Steph_84203

5 Year Member
Freaking out ALOT. Brought Maple in from outside and noticed the bottom of her plastron was flakey. And then I notice part was comming up. Its a very thin part but it doesn't look good at all and it is a friday evening and I only have fridays and saturdays off at work. I havent messed with the spot since the picture because Im too scared to. I have attached two pictures the first is how the shell looks without manipulation of the spot, the second shows the part I am super worried about. Sorry if this posted several times. I am still figuring out how to work this forum and am a little rattled.

Attachments

• Maple Plastron 1.jpg
    Maple Plastron 1.jpg
    401 KB · Views: 65
  • Maple Plastron 2.jpg
    Maple Plastron 2.jpg
    358.8 KB · Views: 72

johanna

5 Year Member
Fargo, ND
Is it shedding? Are you familiar with shell sheds?
Below your finger looks bad. Like a lack of UVB and the shell rotting away. That pale part with the red dot. I've seen that a lot with turtles. Could just be a scrape though.
Where did you get these guys?

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Steph I do not host any pancakes....but love this species....I just now looked at your last pics....is that area peeling down to the white bone or just a bit of flaky shell?

Steph_84203

5 Year Member
Got them in Feb from a reptile expo in Portland. Bought a MVB there too because it was a good deal (now hoping it was a fresh one.. exoterra like I use on the rest of my herps). There has been a cuttlefish bone in with them but I havent seen them use it but I also wasnt supplementing with calcium until recently when I noticed the cuttlefish bone was untouched. I feel really crummy neither one looks like they are feeling well (the others shell looks fine but is lethargic when usually he is running around) and I should have caught it all sooner (I have been preoccupied with a ferret that has cancer pretty bad and we are doing comfort care at this point for him). Now this am neither really wants to eat waiting until 9am for the vets office to open to see if they can fit us in :( UPDATE: got an appointment at 11:30 at the office. Haven't taken my torts there yet but have taken my ferrets. Seeing a different vet who is the owner and the receptionist says is good with torts so we will see what happens. Now I must play the waiting game....
johanna said:
Is it shedding? Are you familiar with shell sheds?
Below your finger looks bad. Like a lack of UVB and the shell rotting away. That pale part with the red dot. I've seen that a lot with turtles. Could just be a scrape though.
Where did you get these guys?

Thats the weird part. I don't see white bone there at all and the flake is thin, but it looks like tissue which is making me worry ALOT :(
ascott said:
Steph I do not host any pancakes....but love this species....I just now looked at your last pics....is that area peeling down to the white bone or just a bit of flaky shell?

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Hoping your vet is familiar with this specific tortoise shell vs a traditional tortoise type shell....please let keep us updated...:D

Steph_84203

5 Year Member
Ok! I wrote down everything I've been doing husbandry wise and took it in. The vet said it looked good but thought there were things that have been festering since before we got her. Maple has a respiratory infection with some fluid in her lungs. Both her and John Wayne are receiving baytril injections (super dilute). Luckly she also pooped while we were there and they did a fecal and found a bunch of bacteria and microbes moving around on the smear but no eggs on the fecal float. Both of the torts are getting metronidazole orally everyday for 5 days which is going to be tricky since they arent eating so we have to pop their beaks open (any helpful tricks anyone???) As for her shell. It looked clean and dry and she didn't expect fungal infection so we are going to continue to clean with a betadine solution and follow that up with silvadene creme twice a day. Also she mentioned that during her work with desert torts she always worried about mycoplasma infections but wasn't sure if it was prevalent in pancake torts...any thoughts. She said there isnt a good way to test for it but once they have it they are carriers for life.
ascott said:
Hoping your vet is familiar with this specific tortoise shell vs a traditional tortoise type shell....please let keep us updated...:D

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Well I am glad both health issues you mention are treatable......so I wish a quick speedy recovery....:D and please keep us updated as they get better...

Tortoise

10 Year Member!
Canada
Hi
I am having to feed my hatchlings with a dropper so I wondered if my methods of opening mouths would work for you as you were asking for tips.
My Hermanns are tiny so you might want to use something bigger but I am using a plastic pick type thing that came in a manicure set with a straight end and a pointy end.I use the straight end and gently put pressure where the upper and lower jaw meet, they tend to open a little then I twist the pick a little so the flat piece naturally opens the jaw wider, I then quickly squirt a little food into the open mouth.
You may have to hold the legs out of the shell too as they will want to go inside their shell. This is a 2 person job, one to hold and poke mouth open and one to administer whatever you are giving. I tried today to do this alone and ended up with dropper operated with teeth whilst trying to hold legs out and do mouth part-I couldn't even curse with dropper in my mouth. Its just better with help.

I'm thinking once the mouth is open perhaps a small popsicle stick would help open and keep jaws apart-depends on size of your tortoise's mouth.
If you want me to post a picture of pick thing I can?(not sure what it's official name is!)

Hope this helps and good luck!!

Steph_84203

5 Year Member
Thank you so much for the tip!! I think we were on the same wave length with nail care tools! I have been using the metal bit from a set of nail clippers that you use to clean under nails. I broke it off and added tape at the sharp end were we hold it (the tape also makes that end easier to hold onto since it is bigger). So far John Wayne seems to want to eat alittle bit (only rose petals and now cooked yam...I know its not fantastic for them but I want to get something in thier stomachs to maybe jump start them...and this is a bit here and there and then sleep) but he isnt moving around a whole lot. He does fight us like crazy now medicine time. Maple is confusing. She isn't eating that great (niether are) but she will take a small square of prickly pear pad from my hand. She is more active than JW (still not normal active) but doesn't fight us medicine time hardly at all which I don't like. We finished the first round of metronidazole yesterday (will repeat in 2 weeks after a fecal exam) but we still have 5 days left of baytril injections and she was the one with fluid in her lungs and seemed "sicker" than JW so maybe I am worrying to much at this point since we are only half way through the antibiotics (she didn't want to have anything to do with the foods that are super tastey but not good for her...also don't know if she has ever had food like that since I havent fed it to them here before today and once they are eating well again I will discontinue it) Also it seems like her mouth is less pink than JW, still pink but pailer. Any thoughts on this post???
Tortoise said:
Hi
I am having to feed my hatchlings with a dropper so I wondered if my methods of opening mouths would work for you as you were asking for tips.
My Hermanns are tiny so you might want to use something bigger but I am using a plastic pick type thing that came in a manicure set with a straight end and a pointy end.I use the straight end and gently put pressure where the upper and lower jaw meet, they tend to open a little then I twist the pick a little so the flat piece naturally opens the jaw wider, I then quickly squirt a little food into the open mouth.
You may have to hold the legs out of the shell too as they will want to go inside their shell. This is a 2 person job, one to hold and poke mouth open and one to administer whatever you are giving. I tried today to do this alone and ended up with dropper operated with teeth whilst trying to hold legs out and do mouth part-I couldn't even curse with dropper in my mouth. Its just better with help.

I'm thinking once the mouth is open perhaps a small popsicle stick would help open and keep jaws apart-depends on size of your tortoise's mouth.
If you want me to post a picture of pick thing I can?(not sure what it's official name is!)

Hope this helps and good luck!!

Tortoise

10 Year Member!
Canada
I'm not sure what to say about the paler mouth etc. It is good they are taking something to eat, you can wean them off the "tortoise junk food" when they are stronger-at least it keeps their intestines working etc.I guess too much sugar in fruit etc would compromise their system but aside from sweet potato its pretty low in sugars.
Prickly pear is good as its quite moist too, good fibre, high calcium. (I've been pureeing it into my home made tortoise soup)
If you have 5 days of Baytril left, you might want to see how they are after that as that is quite a few days of meds to take yet and I think they get better quite slowly.
Sending lots of good luck vibes to help John Wayne and Maple-love their names!
Hope some others comment on the mouth paleness etc for you soon.

Louise

Glad you found a way of opening their mouth-always good to exchange these tips especially using common items we may have in our homes.

deadheadvet

10 Year Member!
Cary, NC
Steph_84203 said:
Ok! I wrote down everything I've been doing husbandry wise and took it in. The vet said it looked good but thought there were things that have been festering since before we got her. Maple has a respiratory infection with some fluid in her lungs. Both her and John Wayne are receiving baytril injections (super dilute). Luckly she also pooped while we were there and they did a fecal and found a bunch of bacteria and microbes moving around on the smear but no eggs on the fecal float. Both of the torts are getting metronidazole orally everyday for 5 days which is going to be tricky since they arent eating so we have to pop their beaks open (any helpful tricks anyone???) As for her shell. It looked clean and dry and she didn't expect fungal infection so we are going to continue to clean with a betadine solution and follow that up with silvadene creme twice a day. Also she mentioned that during her work with desert torts she always worried about mycoplasma infections but wasn't sure if it was prevalent in pancake torts...any thoughts. She said there isnt a good way to test for it but once they have it they are carriers for life.
ascott said:

Check with your vet but Baytril really should be given orally since it can cause significant tissue/ muscle damage when given intramuscularlly over extended periods of time. It will be absorbed through the GI tract fine if given orally, so check with your vet on the math of your dosing and see if what you have can be given orally every three days. Just my opinion but I prefer using ceftazadime for infections since it causes less tissue damage.

Status
Not open for further replies.