Pairs

Status
Not open for further replies.

jackrat

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Hamburg,AR
I saw that you mentioned redfoots. My experience with them has been good ,keeping them together as a group. They all interact peacefully on a daily basis. They share hides well,with no squabbling. Even when breeding is at it's peak,no problems.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
jackrat said:
I saw that you mentioned redfoots. My experience with them has been good ,keeping them together as a group. They all interact peacefully on a daily basis. They share hides well,with no squabbling. Even when breeding is at it's peak,no problems.

I don't have enough redfoot experience to know one way or the other, but I have heard from people who DO keep them that they do like the company of other redfoots. How do they fare in pairs vs. groups, though?

Pancakes are still the only tortoise species that I know of that are found in social groups in the wild. Does any one know of exceptions? I have seen pics of groups of Galops in "wild" looking settings, usually around a watering hole, but does this occur naturally? Or are they just temporarily all in the same place because that's where the water source is?

jackrat

5 Year Member
Hamburg,AR
Tom,when I had just a pair,they did fine. When he wanted to mate,he did. Other than that,they got along well together.

grogansilver said:
:tort: Well since were on the subject of red foots here's a video, enjoy!:tort: http://youtu.be/CQ9trqnq7Q8 :D
I actually have one of that group. She's a young female that I've posted some pictures of. I have two clutches of eggs from her in the incubator.

DSC01169.jpg

grogansilver

5 Year Member
jackrat said:
Tom,when I had just a pair,they did fine. When he wanted to mate,he did. Other than that,they got along well together.

grogansilver said:
:tort: Well since were on the subject of red foots here's a video, enjoy!:tort: http://youtu.be/CQ9trqnq7Q8 :D
I actually have one of that group. She's a young female that I've posted some pictures of. I have two clutches of eggs from her in the incubator.

DSC01169.jpg

:tort: She's Beautiful i like her! :tort:

Tortoise

10 Year Member!
Canada
Tom said:
Thanks for the input Louise. I think we all agree here more than we disagree. I think both of your examples illustrate well that it does come down to individuals, but there are some general trends that we should all be aware of.

Yes I agree, I think my saying I agree and disagree was too strong-sorry.
Yes, in general they seem to be better off not in a pair but some people are lucky enough that their tortoises are compatible.

Good for new or prospective owners to be aware of before they decide to add more to their collection. Thanks Tom-your comments are always interesting and useful.

Louise

DesertGrandma

10 Year Member!
Arizona
I just want to thank everyone that had input to this thread. It has certainly raised my level of knowledge on the subject and given me a lot to think about.

Status
Not open for further replies.