pair of Leopards?

Jodie

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Spokane Valley WA
I know tortoises don't do well usually in pairs. I have a divided box and enclosure outside for my male and female. My male is only about 6 pounds and my female is about 20pounds.
I have been looking for another female to no avail. The enclosure would be a lot nicer as one large enclosure.
My question is, could it work keeping them together? Worth a shot or consequences not worth it?
The enclosure is quite large, over 500 square feet. The night box is 4ft X 8ft.
Thanks in advance for helping me make this decision.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
You could try it and see. Leopards are usually pretty peaceful, unless you have some SA leopard mixed in there.

Watch out for the male constantly bothering the female and watch both their appetites.

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
Thank you for the quick response. I am going to keep them seperated for a while. I just moved them outside and my female, who doesn't ever do well with change, is currently not eating as it is. She came out of the box for the 1st time today. Knocked down the bricks dividing the enclosure, and went into Mort's side of the box.
I am on my way to Lowe's to get bigger bricks. My husband got home and I asked him how big the enclosure is and I was way off. I am horrible at measurements. It is closer to 8000 square feet. I am such a girl sometimes.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I have a couple different species in pairs. If you have a big enough area with several sight barriers it might work out. You just have to be on the ball when you first put them together. It would be a good idea to plant the merger when you're on vacation so you can spend a lot of time watching them.

I have two 2010 SA leopards that have been together since babies. They have never had a problem with each other. I wouldn't dream of trying this indoors.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I have three leopards, two females and one male. I too wanted to keep them all together. This spring my male has come into a little maturity, well he's trying to find his maturity. LOL. I keep him seperate at night or if it's too cold to go outside, as he is always trying to mount the one larger female. If they can go out into their yard, I do put them all together. He's not that big of a bother, but if I see him close to her or following her, I will put him in another spot of the yard away from her. Then he seems to forget all about her until the next time they cross paths. For the most part she ignores him and doesn't really seem bothered.

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
My first leopard enclosure is 13x36 feet and I have two males and two females in it , 5 sage bushes and 10-12 cactuses in it . And no problems .