Painting on shell :(

Kristy1970

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Addis, LA
My grand daughter (almost 6) and I were painting the outside of Daisy’s outside box with pretty colors. I went inside to get something, came back and Daisy now has 2 pink and 1 yellow scute ‍♀️ it is Rustoleum paint and will not come off. Isabella said she needed a makeover [emoji15]. Will it hurt her and HOW can I get it off? I’ve tried coconut oil and it didn’t work.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
the paint should be non toxic. I do not know of any organic paint remover so I was just let it wear off over time

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
Oddly enough, paint on scutes is not really a big deal (but still not a good idea!). It is paint that CROSSES scutes that messes up the growth patterns (remember- scutes grow on the outside edges).

If you NEEDED to get the paint off, I would use cotton swabs and nail polish remover working in small patches. If that did not work, I would upgrade to a small nylon scrubber and work on small patches. Nail polish remover is safe(ish) for human nails and scutes are basically the same thing. Rinse well afterwards.

The old trend of painting a turtle's shell with a fairly tough paint was bad for the growth of the animal, but we sort of 'overlearned' the lesson. Dabs of paint that are acrylic based would be pretty safe. Even a larger painted area would not be a big deal because it would stretch a little and peel off when you were done.