Painting house.....tortoise ok?

StuMac

5 Year Member
Tonight we will be starting to decorate our living room/dining room and kitchen. As we have a toddler, night time is the only real time we can get it done without him touching the walls, plus it gives at least 7 hours for paint to dry. There isn't really anywhere we can move Peaches enclosure, so I was wondering if there should be any concern regarding fumes. We obviously can't leave windows open overnight as it's still way too cold here in Scotland, but the paint says low odour on the tin. There really isn't anywhere she can be moved to, but don't want her to be at risk.

Thanks in advance for any help/ advice.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
If it were me, I would move her to a room that is not going to be painted. If that really is possible, I would cover the cage to help keep fumes out.

StuMac

5 Year Member
I would have moved her, but her enclosure weighs about 50 kg with all the substrate in it. I do keep it covered with a plastic bag that's pinned to the sides, so if you think that will be ok I will keep her that way. Thanks for the help.

Saleama

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Irving Texas
You can move her without moving her enclosure. Set up a temp box for the day. Better safe than sorry.

StuMac

5 Year Member
Saleama said:
You can move her without moving her enclosure. Set up a temp box for the day. Better safe than sorry.

Hmm.... I honestly didn't even think of this!!! Must have had a brain fart or something. That's the solution right there! She can sleep in our room for a couple days... It's always cozy [SMILING FACE WITH OPEN MOUTH AND SMILING EYES]

Thanks...we gave a winner[THUMBS UP SIGN]

StuMac

5 Year Member
QUICK UPDATE!!

After spending a few days in her holiday home( our bedroom!), Peaches was relocated to her usual enclosure....and immediately went for her basking spot where her (fake) buddy lives.....and climbed up for a long, romantic hug!!

ImageUploadedByTortForum1393783753.237875.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: