Painting a viv

JennyG

Location (City and/or State)
Uk
Hi,

The viv I was given with my horsefield needs a little TLC.

I wanted to paint the outside of it and wondered if anyone had done the same and if they had any recommendations to what paint to use.

Thanks

TheTattooedTortoise

North Wales, UK
What kind of wood/material is it made out of? Has it got a 'shine' to the finish on it, you may find it needs a light sanding so the new paint can stick.
Post a decent pic of it so we can take a look

JennyG

Uk
What kind of wood/material is it made out of? Has it got a 'shine' to the finish on it, you may find it needs a light sanding so the new paint can stick.
Post a decent pic of it so we can take a look
It has a shine on it.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 6

TheTattooedTortoise

North Wales, UK
Yea it's the 'plastic wood effect' over chip board...

If it were me, I'd give it a good clean off with fairy liquid (to de grease it). Mask off any vents and glass with masking tape and news paper, and buy yourself a couple of 'plasti-kote' aerosol spray cans. You can usually get it at The Range, Wilko's etc.
Apply a fine base coat first, leave it to dry for an hour and then apply a second and third coat with 1 hour dry times inbetween.

Needless to say, your tort doesn't want to be anywhere near his enclosure wile the paint is applied or is drying just to be on the safe side.

You could of course try finding multi surface paint and hand paint it but the finish will never be as sharp as a spray can and will take much longer to paint and dry.
Depends how deep into it you want to go I suppose.

JennyG

Uk
Yea it's the 'plastic wood effect' over chip board...

If it were me, I'd give it a good clean off with fairy liquid (to de grease it). Mask off any vents and glass with masking tape and news paper, and buy yourself a couple of 'plasti-kote' aerosol spray cans. You can usually get it at The Range, Wilko's etc.
Apply a fine base coat first, leave it to dry for an hour and then apply a second and third coat with 1 hour dry times inbetween.

Needless to say, your tort doesn't want to be anywhere near his enclosure wile the paint is applied or is drying just to be on the safe side.

You could of course try finding multi surface paint and hand paint it but the finish will never be as sharp as a spray can and will take much longer to paint and dry.
Depends how deep into it you want to go I suppose.
Thank you for your help ?

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
What about covering the affected areas with some decorative sticky back plastic instead of paint?
It will save you worrying about paint fumes affecting your tort and will be quicker.

TheTattooedTortoise

North Wales, UK
What about covering the affected areas with some decorative sticky back plastic instead of paint?
It will save you worrying about paint fumes affecting your tort and will be quicker.
That's actually a great shout too, I've seen some fantastic vinyls around