Painful she’ll tag???? Any idea

BabyElsie

So this morning I noticed that the front of my tortoise shell on the side next to her leg there is what looks like a little shell tag. When I touched it or try to move it in anyway she showed what seem to be discomfort. And then I looked on the other side and there is a smaller one about in the same spot. Does anybody know what this means? Is she just growing? I’ve never seen these before. She is a 5 year old leopard tortoise

9FD7AF44-18B7-42EF-9291-17DBF9CAFC91.jpeg

BabyElsie

Is this something that kind of just happened or is it a health thing? And is there anything I can do to make it better for her?

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Kent, South East England
Is this something that kind of just happened or is it a health thing? And is there anything I can do to make it better for her?
It is probably the result of a knock through climbing or being hit with something. The area needs covering to protect it. That's why I tagged Yvonne for recommendations. She runs a rescue and is used to dealing with injuries

BabyElsie

Thank you! She hasn’t been hit so must be from hitting something. I would love to know how to protect it. Thank you again

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
It's probably going to come off eventually. You might try taping it in place to restrict movement. Cut a thin piece of duct tape and place it from the outside and up into the inside of the shell.