oxbow botanical hay

Status
Not open for further replies.

geekinpink

5 Year Member
I found this oxbow botanical hay, I wonder if I could use this as their substrate at the same time source of fiber/food for them?

this is the content:
This enticing blend unites Western Timothy Hay with a rich array of three of the following fragrant herbs: chamomile, lemon verbena, hibiscus, lavender, rose hips, comfrey, borage or red clover blossoms.

I have star tortoises :)

yagyujubei

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Amish Country
I chop it up and mix it in with their food. It has a pleasant smell. It might be OK for substrate for you , but will mildew if wet and warm.

River14

5 Year Member
It sounds perfect for Stars.

I dont know where you live and or what your climate is. However if its 80-90% humidity and warm like 80%F upward day and night the hay will soften within an hour and will take at least two weeks to mould so better change weekly in case. Mean while your tortoises will pick out the jummy stringy flowers and chomp the hay. Use dry news-paper as substrate.

Day time let them graze wild, after sun bathing morning and evening. They love this but mostly sleep hahahah .

When you return them to hay they will snuggle up under it on the dry news-paper and fall fast asleep until the very first rays of sunshine when they will want a nice jummy full breakfast of all the things they love. They may jump into the water as well but mostly they will be just active and hungry. Make good use of it to feed and as the temp climbs in the morning they will begin to seek shelter fromm the hottest part of the day. This means they will dive uder the hay again and sleep untill four five in the evening before starting eating again. They might also take another sun bath before or after eating their evening meal.

Complicted little devils. Older ones are more easy going.

I move them about without disturbance. That is too say from grass to night time quarters and out again in the morning, as they are only hatchlings I make it as seemless as possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.