Owning a Galapagos

CourtneyG

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Auburn, Alabama
My dream is to someday own and maybe even breed Galapagos, but there really is not much out there on the legal process of getting one and such(I.e permits and such). I know they need huge plots of land in warm weather states with large sturdy fences to keep them in, and a wintering building if it does not stay warm all year round. I would love to know more on their dietary needs, and what permits are needed if it is not just the CBW permit, and if any of you have one and how you have your Galapagos set up. I will someday have one, but as of now I do not have the land or enough money for them, but would like to know as much as I can before getting one.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Well the only other thing to check is with your state. I don't believe Georgia has Galapagos under a banned animal. So all you need is a CBW permit. IF your purchasing one outside of the state you reside in. I don't know of any breeders in Georgia. Your best bet would be to obtain a CBW so when you are ready and some babies or adults are posted then you can snatch them up. They are seed propagators just like Aldabras. Just found completely on a different island and part of the planet. They are prone to being in a semi arid like conditions. Galapagos islands have a very unique landscape. It is tropical but dry. All the sub terrain is volcanic rock so it drains off really well. They do Waller in mud pits. Most of there diet is cactus and greens in the wild. With occasional weeds also being consumed while grazing on grass. They can be quite territorial unlike the Aldabras. Males and even females will battle and bite each other. So that something to take into consideration, if getting multiples. But not to worry if you have babies to start off. One thing to consider too is the sub species. There are 10 subspecies. Most that are here are becki, and vicina. Which are the largest species. There are more here too at different zoos and breeders. Unfortunately they get crossed a lot. So if you really want to breed them I'd suggest going through zoological channel that keeps pure sub species lineages. I can forward some zoo information to you that work with pure lines. Not sure if they would deal with a private individual though. Maybe. They run a bit expensive too. 4-6 thousand for an individual baby. They need to be kept on dry rocky landscape in a portion of the area,a long with a mud hole, and the remainder grass area with plants to hide under. They do grow rather slow too unlike the Aldabras. A very successful keeper at a zoo I know is very intelligent with these guys. Slow steady growth is better for them. At 2 years old they still won't break 200-300 grams. But keeping them non overweight is essential for proper development of bones, muscle, and hip placement. Hope this all helps. They are lovely species for sure.

CourtneyG

5 Year Member
Auburn, Alabama
Thank you. I live in Alabama right now and there are a lot of areas around that are good for them, but I do not think I will be living here after I graduate. It all just depended on where I can get a job. Are there states that have Galapagos torts banned?

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Thank you. I live in Alabama right now and there are a lot of areas around that are good for them, but I do not think I will be living here after I graduate. It all just depended on where I can get a job. Are there states that have Galapagos torts banned?
Damnit I did say Georgia didn't I? Sorry. I knew it was Alabama I have no idea why I said Georgia. Ha. I don't believe Galapagos are banned in any state. I know Tennesee is quite stringent on tortoises and turtles. Alabama I don't believe is. Just the gopher tortoise of course. But check with Alabama parks and wildlife. Your really close to Florida too. So that would be your best bet too in finding one. Depending if your northern or southern Alabama that is a good location for tortoises as they can stay out a bit longer than say Virginia or New York.

CourtneyG

5 Year Member
Auburn, Alabama
The zoo info would be nice, hoping to work for a zoo someday, but realistically I will probably work at a clinic with specialization. There is a breeder in Fl I see who only sells them to state residents, he has none available as if right now. Not sure of any other breeder though. But like I said this will be a few years down the road kind of plan so who knows their availability come then.

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
<hehe>.........Heck at few months old Tyrone was 93 grams ......
He will be a year old in August ....and I can assure you well over 200 grams......I couldn't imagine a 2 year old galap weighing 2-3 hundred grams.

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
matter of fact .. .looking at the galap thread from the OK...zoo...... The babes are kept way too dry and already pyramiding ..?
287odxg.jpg

CourtneyG

5 Year Member
Auburn, Alabama
He will be a year old in August ....and I can assure you well over 200 grams......I couldn't imagine a 2 year old galap weighing 2-3 hundred grams.
Where did you get little(as of now) Tyrone?

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Weird to me isn't it. Even the adults are fed very little.

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
This animal was produced by J. Fife and Ken S. a joint effort with each owning one of the parents.
The first time galaps have been produced in the public sector in a long time. The first clutch consisted of 5 hatchlings ....and I do believe they were successful in hatching out one more clutch after that.....but don't quote me on that .

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
Weird to me isn't it. Even the adults are fed very little.
yes ....it seemed rather a small number. On the other hand I completely understand where you had quoted about even growth rate and bone structure taking a slow strong hold instead of a quick build up.

ben32hayt

5 Year Member
Long Island, New York
i was speaking with Mr.Fife and he currently has hatchlings. unfortunately living in NY it may be difficult to own one of these magnificent creatures

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
Tyrone is smooooooth and stunning!
Nice to still see you around ...........

TYRONE SPECS
9-23-2013
SCL 3 1/4"
96 grams
Hatch date : TYRONE - BABY GALAPAGOSE BORN 8-1-2013

Sept 23 2013 = 96 grams ..

Oct 7 2013 = 108 grams ....

11-10-2013 = 166 grams …

11-19-2013 = 175 grams….

DEC 15 2013 = 206 ½ grams
May 25th 2014 = 566 grams.
June 25th 2014 = 816.46 grams ( 1.8 pounds)

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
i was speaking with Mr.Fife and he currently has hatchlings. unfortunately living in NY it may be difficult to own one of these magnificent creatures
Heck Ben ....."everything lives in New York" ...:p

TjRazo

APACHE JUNCTION AZ
My dream is to someday own and maybe even breed Galapagos, but there really is not much out there on the legal process of getting one and such(I.e permits and such). I know they need huge plots of land in warm weather states with large sturdy fences to keep them in, and a wintering building if it does not stay warm all year round. I would love to know more on their dietary needs, and what permits are needed if it is not just the CBW permit, and if any of you have one and how you have your Galapagos set up. I will someday have one, but as of now I do not have the land or enough money for them, but would like to know as much as I can before getting one.
I just resently purchased a young Galapagos tortoise at a reptile expo in Mesa Az .He is super cool.

TjRazo

APACHE JUNCTION AZ
I have been up all nite making sure my Galapa Tort is warm and still alive.I just want to give him the best home I can.keeping his temp enclosure(10 gal tank)dry but misting him.I will make a moc mudd pit for him to wallow in and an outdoor pin for the daylight hours and i will supervise him while outside. Im not sure about alot of things but I am very knowledgable when it comes to reptiles.I am also the proud parent of 18 hatchling Salcatas that are doing excellent.