Owners of Leopard Geckos, Please Help?

How much do you spend on food for your Leopard Gecko?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chinque

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Florida
1.) for my little Sophia, there is an under-tank heater, a climbing branch (she never uses it, but the crickets do, which makes her meals more spread out), a rock climb/hiding place (she almost never goes on top of it, only under it), a small water bowl (no need for a food bowl, I feed her live crickets), and a log hiding place (she spends most of her time under there, because I think it is above her under-tank heater... Mmm, nice and toasty warm 😊). For substrate, I just use those blocks of dirt at the pet store that you just place in water and it turns into dirt. For the temp... I don't really remember...
2.) I give her 2 dozen crickets every month (one dozen babies and one dozen jumbos). At petco, which is where I get them, they cost, like, $10.
3.) I don't really mist her, with the exception of in the summer.

cruiser12

5 Year Member
I give Melow Yellow about 1.5 dozen crickets a month, and i give her a few mealworms when she looks hungery. She eats like a pig, and would probly eat untill she exploded lol :D. She has ground walnut shells for substrate(i know, not the best but she has been doing good with it for 6 years so ill see how she does) and a log hide that she is in most of the time. I have a heat lamp on top and a small water dish for her to drink out of. I really don't mist her often, but give her a bath about every month in really shallow water and she seem to like it :). I spen about 5$ a month on food because i breed my own mealworms. Good luck!

Mojo's Mom

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Kansas
It appears you've got some good advice already. But here is what I know:

Your substrate shouldn't be anything loose like sand, it is easy for them, especially young ones, to swallow some and block up there bowels and stuff, which leads to death. You should have two hides, one on your warm side and one on your cold side ( closest to the heat lamps, farthest from the heat lamp. ) For good measure (especially when you get a bigger enclosure) you should have one in the middle and more importantly a small moist hide ( a wet, humid area good for shedding)

I can't tell you much on mealworms, my little guy doesn't really like them, so we only offer them every once in a while. But watch the size with them, they should only be like 1/8 the size of the head, same with crickets.

Yeah, I was for sure going to get a crested gecko until I saw little fella laying spread eagle right next to where the crested geckos were, and he melted my heart, he became my little Incognito. They are a blast, especially watching them eat. Hope you enjoy the little guy!

Status
Not open for further replies.