Overwhelmed by info, new owner...

Jodie

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Spokane Valley WA
They do pump their legs and head to breathe. What are your 4 temps now? Basking, warm side, cool side and night. How are you achieving these. Heat pads can get too hot and burn tortoises. I use them, but attach them to the wall of the hide rather than floor. What are you feeding? He might be settling in still, but if he is getting too cold, he may be getting sick. Are there bubbles or discharge from the nose? Is his breathing audible?

Littlest Hobo

Hi Jodie thanks. That must be the pumping I am seeing, that is reassuring. The temps I have going are 35-37 for the basking area (it has gradients and he moves closer or further as he needs), then between 17 and 21 for the rest of the enclosure (depending if my heating is on). This can sometimes drop to 15 at night, but he stays over his heat pad which is about 25. He is in a tortoise table so if i put the heat pad on the side it wont really create any air temp for him (also it wont fit there) as it's open air and the room is cool. It is under the substrate though. If he digs down to it will he not know if it is burny?

Littlest Hobo

I have given him mostly kale, lambs lettuce and romaine lettuce so far with a tiny bit of chard and lemon balm. He's eating fairly well but not as good as previous days. I didnt want to give him too much kale but perhaps he is missing that (haven't given any the last 2 days). There is no sign of any bubbles or discharge, just the runny poo. I can't hear his breathing.

But yes, he does seem very attached to his heat spot and fairly inactive. How warm should his baths be?

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
The basking is good. On the heat pad also sounds ok. They don't seem to know when burning their shell. Hopefully it will be ok. The other temps given are too cool, I think. Remind me what you are using for heat. If you cover this, make it enclosed, you will be able to hold the heat and humidity better. A CHE on a thermostat is a great what to maintain your ambient temperature. Will you post a picture of your enclosure?

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
I am not very familiar with the food options you have in UK, but have heard Rocket salad? recommended. Variety is key. My guys all seem to like their soaks to be about 93F.

Littlest Hobo

The heat spot is a lamp in the corner of the enclosure. The room is otherwise heated normally so it's the ambient temperature. Wouldn't want the house any hotter! I haven't created him a humid hide yet as I am being advised. But in terms of the his whole house it's not really possible to make it warmer as it's an open tort table and the room will never be more than 21.

Attachments

• first try.JPG
    first try.JPG
    516.3 KB · Views: 14

Littlest Hobo

Yes we do have rocket, I can get that too. The stuff I am giving him is all marked up as 'good to feed' or 'good to feed occasionally' in The Tortoise Table database. These are things that are advised when weeds are sparse in winter. I'm starting to grow some plants too.

When people talk about variety, do they mean in each meal, or over the space of a week, or just in general. He's had 5 different plant types in 6 days. Is that reasonable?

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
He is so tiny and cute in there. That is a nice size for him. I don't love the UVB bulb. These cause eye problems. I would get one of the mercury vapor bulbs. This will give more heat too. If you make a tent to cover this, with the lights all inside, I think he will do better. You could use plastic or foil, or plexiglass or glass to build walls and a top. You need to get the temps and humidity up to help him grow smooth. There are lots of examples in the enclosure section. I will attach a pic of my enclosed table. Coco Coir or orchid bark will hold the moisture much better.
For food that sounds ok. I have a lot to feed so buy 5-6 different foods at a time, and feed them all. Next time I buy different combos. The more variety you can offer the better. Do the best you can.

Attachments

• IMG_20140907_183133.jpg
    IMG_20140907_183133.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 12

Littlest Hobo

Thank you. Looks like a great set up you have. Is that just while they are young? I will see if I can rig something up.

There seems to be split opinions on the bulbs. This one is a uva/uvb combi and the breeders I got Alan from have used them for years with their torts with no issues. The temperature under his lamp is good. I have to admit I find the blub hurts my own eyes though! I will see how I am going on budget this month and if I can change the arrangement. I will definitely try and rig up some kind of cover though. I'm not great at DIY!

His substrate is topsoil with bark on the surface.

Yup it will be easier when I get growing, it is hard to buy the foods in small quantities so I don't want to waste loads of greens by buying too many things at once, he's only tiny! But I'm doing my best.

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
For the 1st 3 years or so i will keep them in cosed chambers. If your humidity is high, remember you have to keep the temps up. Your overall temp and night temps are cool.

Littlest Hobo

Are these temps i have low? (Bear in mind they are in celcius!). I thought the russian and Mediterranean species had lower temps? In never gets that warm here, so am I going to need to provide a basking spot in summer? Should he only go outside if it is hot and sunny? Thanks

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
If your humidity is high like it should be, then yes your temps are low. I converted them this morning. He will always need a spot to go where he can raise his body temp to at least 85F. So yes he will still need a basking spot.