Overwhelmed and Confused!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

kamoopsipooh

5 Year Member
Before taking in our redfoots, I did a lot of researching regarding their diets. We've had them for a couple weeks, and all the info I've read and collected, I am "overwhelmed and confused."

Different sites have said collard greens are okay. Then I read on one of the threads in this forum that collard greens are high in oxalates and "any dark greens." "Dark greens"; is that endives? Romaine lettuce? Escaroles?

Do you guys sprinkle (in my case, I spray) calcium with every feeding? Every other feeding? Once a week? Does too much calcium cause bladder stones?

My redfoots are about 4 inches or so. How much protein do you guys give them? I was thinking about feeding every two weeks, but how much? Would raw chicken be okay? I figured they eat dead stuff in the wild... What about mealworms and how much? Other than cat food, what else do you guys feed them for protein? Although, credible sites say to give them low-fat cat food, I'm hesitant because there is so much crap in cat food and I don't know of any wild tortoises at the edge of the rain forest purchasing cat food. (My OCD paranoia.)

Also, regarding hydration, I keep them outside and turn the sprinkler on for them for about an hour or two. They also have a dish of water for them. Sometimes, it will just start pouring rain. Do I need to soak them? If so, how often? I'm in Kona, Hawaii where humidity is usually 50 - 70.

I'd love to hear your answers and suggestions. Thanks in advance!

ascott

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Apple Valley, California
What a perfect place to live!!!! Oh, for your torts too :p

Outside in that location is prime....and the rain is not a prob as long as they can get up and out of the rain if they wish to...

Good variety of food offerings (not only these, but they are good);

http://www.eatchicchicago.com/blog/2010/01/23/lettuce-varieties/

Also, a good organic spring mix is a good item. If you have a place outdoors where they are housed and that that space will grow grass--you can toss seeds for red clover, dandelion and some other weeds that are free of pesticides and herbicides and they can and will graze on those items as well and are really good for them.

Protein, I personally would not offer cat food of any kind (just my own issue) You can offer chicken, however, I would broil it plain and clean and let it cool and offer a bit--but not too often, perhaps once every other week or so....you can offer hard boiled eggs (with out the shell) --mushrooms are always good and they love em---fruits like mango, plums, grapes, cantaloupe, watermelon and such can be offered--I usually will only offer fruits about once a week and not alot at that offering...

I was given some Mazuri from an awesome forum member here---I had never offered to any tortoise I cared for until now, I have offered it to the redfoot torts here and they turn into like a land shark and it is literally a feeding frenzy...so you may try that as well---I do the greens in the am and then a bit of the mazuri in the evening....

Wait round for some of the other much more experienced redfoot keepers and they will offer you up their expertise and pointers...:D

Oh yeah, forgot to mention, if your torts are outside and can graze, then you don't need to do the added calcium. Every day is, in my opinion, way too much. If you do find a need to supplement their calcium intake--I would not do more than once a week....again, especially since they are outside on regular basis....

Masin

5 Year Member
North Florida
ascott said:
What a perfect place to live!!!! Oh, for your torts too :p
Right? I'm currently trying to figure out how to disguise myself as a tortoise and move in.

kamoopsipooh

5 Year Member
"Protein, I personally would not offer cat food of any kind (just my own issue) You can offer chicken, however, I would broil it plain and clean and let it cool and offer a bit--but not too often, perhaps once every other week or so....you can offer hard boiled eggs (with out the shell)"

How much do you give?

They are not grazing yet, plants are provided but they aren't nibbling on those either. Still growing their grass.

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
Keep the protein component rather small. They love it and can digest it well, but really do not need it much with all the protein in grocery store greens. Figure about 5-10% of the overall diet or so. I just feed them some every week or two.

I know what you mean by confusion. That is one reason I started the Library. One goal was to try to winnow through all the stuff out there and give you the tools to figure out what would work for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.