Overgrown Beak

Status
Not open for further replies.

NudistApple

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Pittsburgh, PA
Luckily I had a program today that actually involved the animals (most don't), so I had the opportunity to go in the animal room and check him out. I got to see him eating for the first time, and I think he was doing a pretty good job actually. They have another box turtle (female) in an enclosure below his, and they put away about the same amount of food in the same amount of time, though he obviously had to work a bit harder at it. What he does is sort of drag his head backwards and use the edge of his dish to help get the food back into his mouth.

Weird looking, but it worked.

I talked to one of my supers, who said that I had to talk to Jeff the "Animal Guy" about it. Jeff and I have already had disagreements about certain husbandry practices, so I wasn't feeling particularly hopeful, and in that I was not disappointed. He essentially told me to forget about it, because he dremels it down "when he needs it"and that a vet comes by to check it (??). I asked if I could at least give him a cuttlebone, and he said that he has a 'box of them' but that none of the turtle use them so he doesn't offer them. ):

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Well I am amazed that the guy eats, even though he looked like he was doing ok, I imagine it is difficult, and he must have overcome that for quite a few years, even though you may not like talking to jeff " the animal guy" please continue to do so, that is a hardship for the poor turtle, especially one that overgrown, and I would question the vet who looks at him and thinks that is ok. This is one of the times I would probably lose it with someone, good thing I am not near him, this is an easily 100 percent correctable problem, that would greatly increase his quality of life. Ok sorry rant over.

NudistApple

5 Year Member
Pittsburgh, PA
I am going to try and find out what vet they use, I have a program tomorrow (essentially field herping with some Brownies) and hopefully one of the full-timers will be around.

I will keep trying to talk to Jeff, who by the way is one of those "If you MUST feed meal worms to leopard geckos, at least pinch their heads off so that they can't eat their way out of their stomachs!" kind of guys, for the sake of the turtle. Not to sound like a pansy or anything, but I've only been there a few weeks, and I really don't want to create any big waves.

I'm not about to stand idly by while an innocent creature suffers, but I do need my job.

dmmj

10 Year Member!
CA
I don't think you should either, Maybe anonymously leave a few pictures of box turtles with healthy looking beaks on his desk or something.

NudistApple

5 Year Member
Pittsburgh, PA
That's thing crazy thing, we have 2 other box turtles (that he takes care of) IN the environmental center. They both have very healthy beaks. He definitely knows how they are supposed to look.

dmmj

10 Year Member!
CA
Well then the only thing I can think of is, he is either a moron, or he does not care.

Michael Bird

10 Year Member!
Salt Lake City, Utah
Since the turtle eats by dragging the food to the edge of the dish, maybe you could replace the food dish with something abrasive like a piece of slate or sandstone that will help grind down the beak? A proper trimming would be best, but if Jeff won't do that, then you might have to improvise.

dmmj

10 Year Member!
CA
Michael Bird said:
Since the turtle eats by dragging the food to the edge of the dish, maybe you could replace the food dish with something abrasive like a piece of slate or sandstone that will help grind down the beak? A proper trimming would be best, but if Jeff won't do that, then you might have to improvise.
That is a pretty good idea, normally I would say that the beak is to far gone for doing it naturally, but since it eats and does indeed drag it's food, a stone might help bring it down eventually.
I wonder if we have any members in the area who could go in and complain about the turtle's beak to a supervisor or something. Of course leaving apple out of it, so no one gets in trouble.

NudistApple

5 Year Member
Pittsburgh, PA
The stone is a good idea, I'll have to run it by Jeff though. If I just plop something in there, I don't know if I would get in trouble.
And I wish that someone could go in and say something! Unfortunately the animals that we actively use for programs aren't kept where the public can see them.

The person would actually have to be in the audience of one of the animal programs to him, but he has a great temperament, so it's a sure bet that he is part of every animal show.

gerberwoman

5 Year Member
Thousand Oaks, California
wow, and i thought my guys beak was long! what did you end up doing or having done, as i am in the same boat, more or less with my first little box turtle.

Status
Not open for further replies.