Overgrown Beak

Status
Not open for further replies.

NudistApple

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Pittsburgh, PA
Hey guys.

I've just started a new job over at my local reservoir, and we do animal shows with turtles and snakes and things that have been turned in by people, or badly injured.

We have this one box turtle who has a very overgrown beak, and I was wondering what I can do to help him with it? Apparently the last time they brought him to the vet to have it trimmed, the vet hurt him, so they don't want to do that again.

I know I could give him a cuttle bone, and maybe a little piece of slate, but is there anything else?

Aside from the enclosures really not being big enough (in most cases) the animals are very well taken care of. This is almost the only animal with a very obvious issues. He's just such a nice little turtle, and I would like to help him out.

Thanks.

yagyujubei

5 Year Member
Amish Country
I would say that if it's overgrown to the point that it interferes with eating, it needs to be trimmed. If it's not that bad yet, you can try other meathods to wear it naturally. Feed him on a piece of rough sandstone and spread it around thinly rather than a pile.

NudistApple

5 Year Member
Pittsburgh, PA
I honestly don't know if it interferes with feeding. I lead programs, so I'm usually not there that early in the morning when everybody gets fed. It's pretty long though. I guess I could bring him something delicious to see how he does with it. What is an irresistible box turtle treat?

yagyujubei

5 Year Member
Amish Country
Worms/nightcrawlers, slugs
NudistApple said:
I honestly don't know if it interferes with feeding. I lead programs, so I'm usually not there that early in the morning when everybody gets fed. It's pretty long though. I guess I could bring him something delicious to see how he does with it. What is an irresistible box turtle treat?

Jacob

5 Year Member
California
Do you have pictures you can take and show?
if its bad or interferes with feeding he def. needs a trimming from a vet.
If its miner or mild, just feed him on rock or slate and give cuddle bone and hard sprouts from dark leafy greens.

NudistApple

5 Year Member
Pittsburgh, PA
I don't have another program until Tuesday, and it isn't even one with them (it's a pond study) but I will ask if someone can let me into the animal room and take a picture then.

turtlemann2

5 Year Member
Mid Willamette Valley, Or
Sometimes they are so badly overgrown they begin to starve due to just how difficult it is to eat :(. Other times they are only slightly overgrown and as other have said should be worn down naturally. Pictures will help in determining which path of action should be taken, cant wait to see him :)

Melly-n-shorty

5 Year Member
Phoenix Arizona
You could try filing it gently and a little bit at a time with a nail file. I foster home for a sulcata hatchling that had jaw issues and his beak would get over grown. it worked well and after time he got used to it and would tolerate it well.

turtlemann2

5 Year Member
Melly-n-shorty said:
You could try filing it gently and a little bit at a time with a nail file. I foster home for a sulcata hatchling that had jaw issues and his beak would get over grown. it worked well and after time he got used to it and would tolerate it well.

Yeah that would work, i want to comment on your two chihuahuas the look EXACTLY like my two :) a tan male named taco bell and the black with white chest female named is-a-bell :)

Melly-n-shorty

5 Year Member
Phoenix Arizona
turtlemann2 said:
Yeah that would work, i want to comment on your two chihuahuas the look EXACTLY like my two :) a tan male named taco bell and the black with white chest female named is-a-bell :)

Ha ha ha they are like twins but opposite! The black and white one is flash daddy (the original pimp daddy) he is my boy. the tan one is my female she is named Cleo bear. They are 12 years old and have been with me since I was 18. I love the names!!

Melly-n-shorty

5 Year Member
Phoenix Arizona
turtlemann2 said:
Well i Like them :) they remind me of my two whom happen to be snuggling me right now :) <3

You should post pics in the other pets section I'd love to see them! Chihuahua are the best dogs IMO.

NudistApple

5 Year Member
Pittsburgh, PA
So, I ended up not having a chance to take a picture yesterday, and I had only a few seconds today, so this is the best I could do;
0530121353.jpg

tyrs4u

5 Year Member
Portland, OR.
I suggest a different Vet for that size of a beak, if it was smaller I would say use cat nail clippers or most people use a Dremel

turtlemann2

5 Year Member
The injury most likly occured from him strugling with the vibration of the dremmel. I suggest having him put under and the beak trimmed. The earlier advice was for much shorter beaks. Cant Wait to see him all better :)

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
OMG is he part elephant?

NudistApple

5 Year Member
Pittsburgh, PA
I will suggest it to my supervisors. I thought it was pretty bad, but I've never really seen an overgrown beak, so I wasn't sure.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
He needs one badly, I would strongly suggest it, I can't imagine how it eats like that. Probably one of the worst I have ever seen.

Status
Not open for further replies.