Overgrown Beak

Shellson Mandela

Location (City and/or State)
Maryland
Hello, I have a problem with my Russian Tortoise, Shellson Mandela. His beak is getting pretty (picture attached), and I'm fairly new to the tortoise game, so I am hesitant to try trimming it myself. I tried giving him a cuttlefish bone, but he wants nothing to do with it, and he's had it for about two weeks. I was thinking maybe he doesn't know what to do with it? Is there anything I can do to get him to try the cuttlebone? I've also been feeding him on a slate rock, but that doesn't seem to have any effect. What should my next step be in trying to keep his beak at a healthy length? 9BvmvDayR4SiTXuWaBrgGA.jpg

KronksMom

Illinois
I love that name! His beak looks fine to me. Is he eating ok? Having to open his mouth SUPER wide to get a bite so that it seems like it's a struggle?

Shellson Mandela

Maryland
I love that name! His beak looks fine to me. Is he eating ok? Having to open his mouth SUPER wide to get a bite so that it seems like it's a struggle?

He's actually yawning in that picture! He seems to be eating just fine, he LOVES dandelion leaves and romaine lettuce.

KronksMom

Illinois
Then he'll be fine. Keep feeding on the slate and it will hopefully keep his beak from growing too long, so you never need to actually trim it. The cuttle bone isn't so much for his beak, though it does double duty to keep it filed down if he eats it. It's a calcium supplement. I keep one in my guys tank so he can access it whenever he wants, but he rarely uses it. When he does, he may eat a third of it at one go though. But he hasn't done that at all since we started using a calcium supplement once a week on his food. The whole calcium to phosphorus ratio thing is still a bit over my head, but I'm working on it. Whatever I need to learn for my little boy, I'll learn. It's just taking some time. And unfortunately for him, I didn't realize quite how detailed his needs were before I brought him home.