Outside

Status
Not open for further replies.

izzy2208

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
illinois
Hello!! Thank- you everyone for all your help!!! :DIts getting warmer outside and donatello's doing great so far:p so i was wondering if i should be bringing donatello outside in my huge backyard on a leash/ harness thing like i do for Torty,my russian tortoise. Or should i just put my tortoise table thing that we made for him (its huge!!!)on the deck. He loves to run and i understand that birds or other animals could hunt/ hurt him, so im thinking this over with caution. We have a fence around our house (but its not really going to make a difference for 4" donatelo.) I should have enough money to have a leash/ harness specially made for him and to buy the che light in a week or so. I never leave him unattended but what would be the best option?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Laura said:
yep, build a pen, that is covered and secure, but can still let sunshine in. Its the best for him.

Ditto. Don't use screen or any fine mess to make the top. It will diminish the amount of uv greatly. Chicken wire or hardware cloth, which is also a fencing works good.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
Since you mention being on a tight budget, check your local Craigslist for "free brick". I see it all the time. You can get some bricks to set up a square perimeter in a part of the yard. Pull up a chair next to him and spend an hour or so letting him enjoy outside and graze naturally. This type of temporary set up will keep him confined (so if you look away for a moment he can't go missing) and is moveable BUT it is not secure enough for you to leave him unattended.
Eventually as your funds allow you can build a more secure pen or invest in better fencing etc.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
If you click on the second link in my signature, there are two threads on how to make a cheap easy safe outdoor pen for them.

L82lalaland

5 Year Member
Lakeside, California
I had some left over shelving that I staked into the ground for a temporary pen. I agree never leave them unattended tho, big birds ;-)

Here is a pic.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 36
Status
Not open for further replies.