Outside

Patryk

Location (City and/or State)
Chicago
Is it ok if I let my tortoise out on the grass in my backyard once in a while. I watch over him and I only let him out for like 30 mins is that ok? I make sure he doesn’t eat anything

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    4.3 MB · Views: 12

Ruszian Tortoise

TX
Is it ok if I let my tortoise out on the grass in my backyard once in a while. I watch over him and I only let him out for like 30 mins is that ok? I make sure he doesn’t eat anything
It's a cute little guy! All the more experienced people on here say not to, because eventually you'll get distracted and turn away for "one second" and he/she'll have pulled a Houdini. What they recommend is using a container, like a kiddie pool, and letting them enjoy the sunlight for a bit.
Others might have more and/or better things to say.
Good luck! :)

Patryk

Chicago
It's a cute little guy! All the more experienced people on here say not to, because eventually you'll get distracted and turn away for "one second" and he/she'll have pulled a Houdini. What they recommend is using a container, like a kiddie pool, and letting them enjoy the sunlight for a bit.
Others might have more and/or better things to say.
Good luck! :)
thanks so much!!

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
Hi, and welcome to the forum!

What Ruszian Tortoise said is very true. So many times we read on here "I looked away for one second" and he's gone. We don't want that to happen to you, so you do need some kind of safe enclosure.

Another reason we are concerned is the possibility of chemicals. You said it's your backyard...are you absolutely sure no fertilizers, weed killers, or bug sprays haven't been used out there? Do you have a next door neighbor who could have used any on his lawn? You can't just say "I don't think so". You may need to ask your parents and your neighbors to be certain.

We had a member of the forum, who knew the dangers of not confining her tort, come on one day to tell of this tragedy: she was outside, watching her tortoise walking a moderate distance away from her. Like a flash, the neighbor's loose dog raced into the yard, grabbed the tortoise, and raced away. The tortoise was dead before she could get to it.

Finally, if it is safe from chemicals, can you identify the names of any weeds in the grass? Most people have dandelions and they are good. They are excellent food for torts. But plenty of poisonous weeds and flowers grow too. You must be sure there are none where your tortoise walks around. I know you said you don't let him eat anything, but don't trust that. Look away for one second...and you aren't fast enough to prevent it, either.

Now for the good news! :) Taking him out for a couple hours of sunshine each day is wonderful to do! He surely loves walking in the grass, and finding safe, good things to eat. And it's good for him to go out, as long as the weather allows!

The picture looks like he is an adult Russian tortoise, is that right?

So, yes, you do need a safe enclosure. It needs to either be covered on the top, or high enough that he can't climb out. It can just be some boards nailed together. Maybe you have concrete blocks you could use to build a pen. Just put it where there is both sun and shady spots while he's out there. Plant a safe bush or two to make some shade. The main thing about the enclosure is make it as big as you can! The bigger the better! Your tort will love it!

Here is a loooong list of good foods for tortoises. Maybe you can find some of these around your house or your neighbors. Just ask about chemicals, and ask permission before you chop off any branches! ?

Compiled by Tom: Good foods for tortoises are "chicories," types of lettuce that are likely to be on the far side of the more common floppy green heads of lettuce most people buy. Anything labeled as simply "chicory" is good, as are radiccio, frisee, escarole, and endive; you might even find something labeled as dandelions. You may find a bag of "Spring" or "Spicy" mix that is good, just check the label to be sure it has some of the chicories I just mentioned. The leaves (just the leaves) of turnips and radishes are also good, as are carrot tops. Collards, mustard greens, bok choy, and other dark, leafy greens are okay as well. If you have any kind of Mexican/hispanic market near you, they will sell cactus, labeled "nopales." Cactus is a great food to rotate in the diet, as it is high in calcium. You don't need to feed all of these at one time, just make sure your tortoise is getting access to different types of food. As you get more experienced, you can find the better types of food listed on the care sheets. Here are a whole bunch of non-grocery store suggestions. Mulberry leaves Grape vine leaves Hibiscus leaves African hibiscus leaves Blue hibiscus leaves Rose of Sharon leaves Rose leaves Geraniums Gazanias Nasturtium Lavatera Pansies Petunias Hostas Honeysuckle Cape honeysuckle Leaves and blooms from any squash plant, like pumpkin, cucumber, summer squash, etc... Young spineless opuntia cactus pads Weeds: There are soooooooo many... Dandelion Mallow Filaree Smooth Sow thistle Prickly Sow thistle Milk thistle Goat head weed Cats ear Nettles Trefoil Wild onion Wild mustard Wild Garlic Clovers Broadleaf plantain Narrow leaf plantain Chick weed Hawksbit Hensbit Hawksbeard Other good stuff: "Testudo Seed Mix" from http://www.tortoisesupply.com/SeedMixes Pasture mixes or other seeds from http://www.groworganic.com/seeds.html Homegrown alfalfa Mazuri Tortoise Chow ZooMed Grassland Tortoise Food Ones that you can buy in every store: Arugula Lambs lettuce Chicory Kale Mustard greens Organic kohlrabi leafs Organic carrot leafs Organic radish leafs Dandelions Radiccio Their main diet should be broad leaf weeds, succulents and grasses. Store bought foods are okay, but not the best. Collards and dandelions are a good food, but neither should be used every day. Check out the plant ID section for lots of ideas on weeds to feed. You can get spineless opuntia cactus pads from most Mexican grocery stores, or grow them yourself. You can also easily grow grape leaves, african hibiscus, regular hibiscus (if it will survive in your area), and mulberry leaves. You can try red apple, ice plant, and jade plant too. Also look into Gazania, pansies, nasturtiums, carnations, geraniums and many others. At the grocery store, favor endive and escarole, but also use cilantro, carrot tops, mustard and turnip greens, bok choy, radiccio, swiss chard, watercress, parsley, all the lettuces, etc. Lots of variety is best. There are also tortoise "weed" seed mixes that you can grow. I like the "Testudo Mix" from Tortoisesupply.com. Buckwheat; cactus; vetch; Mohave aster; creosote bush; desert four o’clock; tacoma stans; bladderpod; globe mallow; goldenhead; burro weed; so many things!