Outside Time

Status
Not open for further replies.

dbax85

5 Year Member
Hello all. I've been lurking for about a month and have found (and used) this forum's vast wealth of knowledge in setting up a home for Scout, my Russian tortoise I purchased from Petco during Black Friday sales after having wanted one for years. I named him after the main character in "To Kill a Mockingbird" (I am an English teacher afterall) It took some convincing for my wife to let me get him, but I eventually got her approval and she actually is enjoying him (Plus, she is the one that decided "Atticus" would be a weird name for a tortoise). I had to agree to find a new home for my classroom RES if I wanted to get a tortoise. The RES was getting too big for the tank I was able to provide him (10G) in the classroom, and carting water from the restroom into my classroom was a tough twice a week task. He became a nice Christmas present for another teacher's son. Scout is living in a Christmas tree tub in my office containing everything I've learned from this site to provide a great setup.

Now, my question is: I live in Lincoln, NE where typically it would be 10 degrees and with a foot of snow on the ground during this point in the year. The forecast tomorrow calls for 63 and sunny with the last of our "snow" melting weeks ago. Would it be safe to take Scout outside for some natural sunlight without messing him up? He would be going from his above 70 degree enclosure (90-95 under his light) into an outside climate. I would be observing him for the duration of his outside time. I don't want to accidentally send him into hibernation by dropping his temperature too much. Can I do this?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi dbax85:

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!!

What would you like for us to call you?

As long as its a sheltered area, where the sun would keep him warm, I see no reason why you shouldn't take the tortoise outside for a bit. It would do wonders for his mental well-being.

jeffbens0n

5 Year Member
Glenmoore, PA
I agree, an hour or two of supervised outdoor time would be good for him assuming he has access to direct sunlight, and he is protected from any wind.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
First off, welcome Neighbor! :D I don't actually live in Lincoln (but was raised there). I live down near Beatrice. It's funny, I have been debating with myself this same thing, well sorta. I have been debating taking out my two larger sulcata. I think the exercise and being out would be good for them, but on the other hand not sure if it would be more of a tease. Right now, they are settled down in their winter quarters and not acting at all restless. So I haven't decided if the sore back is worth what would just be an isolated few hours of sunshine. Another thing sorta making me decide towards the not doing it side, is the ground itself in their area is still a tad on the frozen side.

bigred

10 Year Member!
Southern California
I put my torts in the direct sun while others might think its to cold. If the sun is on them and you dont let them crawl over to a cold bush and go to sleep. Also if it is very windy you might not want to. They neen as much REAL sun as they can get.

dbax85

5 Year Member
Sorry it took me so long to check this. I did go ahead and go for about 45 minutes of supervised time out in the yard (had to get the new Christmas grill going for lunch anyway) and Scout loved it. He wandered all over the place, and even tried to climb through the chain link fence. My whole backyard was sunny and there was no wind, so I thought it would be safe. Overall, I think he enjoyed it! I did let him warm back up to room temperature for about an hour, then warm soaked him for about 25 minutes (during which he pooped 4 (yes, 4) times, forcing me to change the water each time).

Status
Not open for further replies.