Outside Temperature Question

LisaLew

Location (City and/or State)
DFW Texas
Hello there, Fallon is 3.5 - 4 years old. She has had a blast outside in her enclosure all summer. Feeling guilty about the weather cooling off! Here in Fort Worth, temperatures are dropping. Luckily we've had some 80+ degrees days, so I put her out and when it's about to dip below 80 I bring her in. Often when I put her out the ground feels cool, though. When I set her down she starts moves, eats and appears content. As the season marches forward... my question is - if it's been 40-50 degrees at night but 80 + degrees during the day... would you put your tortoise out until it dips below 80?

MikeT307

Florida
People keep redfoots outdoors year round in south Florida where it gets below 50 degrees Fahrenheit a week or two a year. Most everyone uses a “sleep house” with a heating device during the winter here though. As long as the tortoise can bask in the sun during the day and has a heated chamber to warm up in, you should be okay as low as 50 degrees.

Just my opinion.

LisaLew

DFW Texas
People keep redfoots outdoors year round in south Florida where it gets below 50 degrees Fahrenheit a week or two a year. Most everyone uses a “sleep house” with a heating device during the winter here though. As long as the tortoise can bask in the sun during the day and has a heated chamber to warm up in, you should be okay as low as 50 degrees.

Just my opinion.
Good thought. I think I’ll work on the sleep house for this season, as she can get more time outside. The outdoor area is about 15 feet by 8 feet, I assume she’ll easily learn where the sleep house is if she wants to warm up?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Good thought. I think I’ll work on the sleep house for this season, as she can get more time outside. The outdoor area is about 15 feet by 8 feet, I assume she’ll easily learn where the sleep house is if she wants to warm up?
Some do, some need help. On days you think its cold enough that she should go in the heat house, put her in it. She can choose to stay there or not. You might have to do that a couple times for her to catch on.

Canadian Mojo

Ontario
What I do is hang out with a digital thermometer and keep tabs on our RF. If he's consistently staying below 75 it's time to go in and warm up. On a sunny day mid 60's is usually enough to keep him warm.

MikeT307

Florida
ZEROPILOT has a video on YouTube Redfoot housing Florida style that might give you an idea on how his setup in South Florida looks. Of course Texas gets the occasional snow flurries and Florida doesn’t. Florida is also more humid than Texas most of the year. They are similar but different.

LisaLew

DFW Texas
ZEROPILOT has a video on YouTube Redfoot housing Florida style that might give you an idea on how his setup in South Florida looks. Of course Texas gets the occasional snow flurries and Florida doesn’t. Florida is also more humid than Texas most of the year. They are similar but different.
Thank you. I'm going to check this out. I'd love to have something like this for Fallon.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Thank you. I'm going to check this out. I'd love to have something like this for Fallon.