Outside temperature for leopard

Swanniejack

Location (City and/or State)
Carmarthen
Hi all I am new to keeping a tortoise, I have a 3 year old leopard tortoise which I've had for about 3 months, my question is, what sort of outside temperature is acceptable for the little fella to be able to go into his outside enclosure, I'm living in UK. Thanks in advance

Yossarian

5 Year Member
Wales
The tort can go out for a few hours on a day like today, but be mindful that it is far from warm enough for them for any longer than that yet, afterwards the tort needs to get back up to 26c +. The outside time is enriching and the UV is good for them but be mindful that your species needs sub-tropical temps for the most part. Later in the year, when temps are breaking into mid 20s your tort will be able to spend its days outside, but if you want to leave it out in mornings, evenings, and overnight when the temp is going to drop, you will need to build a heated hide for it outside. Otherwise it will need to come in for the night, year round.

Swanniejack

Carmarthen
That's great, thanks for that, he will be living in a closed chamber in my house but want to give him exposure to natural UV and food when safe for him to do so, I will take your advice and take him out when the summer hits (Hopefully) Thanks again ??

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hi all I am new to keeping a tortoise, I have a 3 year old leopard tortoise which I've had for about 3 months, my question is, what sort of outside temperature is acceptable for the little fella to be able to go into his outside enclosure, I'm living in UK. Thanks in advance
This question isn't answerable with a number. It depends on many factors. Ground temp, ground moisture, wind, overcast or sunny, substrate, position of enclosure in relation to reflective walls and such, etc...

One general test is: If its sunny, dry, not too windy and you feel comfortable outside barefoot with shorts and a t-shirt, its probably okay for the leopard tortoise. But use a temp gun and check ground and carapace temps early and often. Know that UV is much weaker in winter time, and there isn't much point in outside time unless it is mid day when UV is the strongest and temps are the warmest.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
My leopard lives indoors all year around and has a heated hide in his own room, but in the summer he spends a lot of time in his garden enclosure.
I usually wait until ground temps reach at least 70F.
My garden is quite a sun trap and sheltered so he's well protected from cold winds etc.
I put him out today, but he turned around and headed straight back in - a performance we have every year until he gets used to the idea.

Swanniejack

Carmarthen
Thanks again for more great advice, he's going to have to be as patient as me for the warm weather to come then ???

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
When I was at the Philly zoo we created a "outside today or not" criteria. If sunny 60F was okay, if overcast 75F. This was used for Galpos and Aldbras that ranged in size from just under 200 pounds to about 500 pounds. They always overnighted inside a climate controlled room or display enclosure. Once they were let out, the door to the holding room was left open for about an hour incase someone changed their mind. Then the door was closed so we weren't heating all outdoors. This happened even when some snow was still on the ground in shady areas of the outside enclosure. If they temp took a dive we'd bring them in.

The outdoor pool was much better liked than the indoor pool, and the water temp was not taken into account, many times they would soak all day in pretty cold water. Larger tortoises internal body temp does not change as fast as a smaller tortoise.

A three year old leopard would cool down faster and warm up faster than a multi 100 pound tortoise. I have seen keepers lean a sliding glass door panel against a fence such that both ends are wide open, a tortoise in that tunnel will warm up fairly fast on a cooler day, but not getting UV, as it won't pass through the glass. Any kind of simple plastic green house structure will heat up faster and to a higher temp than just open air on a sunny day, and hold warmth better for intermittent clouds.

You can get thermometers that report to a smart phone so you can see what happens even if you get distracted with something else on an 'iffy' day.