Outside enclosure

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
PacificNorthWest
Warning XXX I'm talking about bigger tortoises here. You cannot keep a small or very young tortoise in this set up.
Most of you have seen my tort shed so move on. I took a few new photos because I've gotten several questions on how I keep tortoises in the PNW.
So Bob's shed is 20'x12' heated and insulated, containing...
100_6311.JPG
an oil filled radiator type for ambient heat. No matter what the outside temps are, the shed stays 85-90 degrees
100_6304.JPG
Here's an inside shot, Mary decided to pee for the pictures. Against the far wall is an open tort table that holds my cactus thru the winter. The shed is cut in half with a tort on each side. You can also see the 'sleeping box', built for Bob, and makes safe warm sleeping, there's a pig blanket operated by a rheostat inside the box. The other side has a cave for sleeping made out of cinder block. I don't use any substrate. It makes for easier clean up. Normally I keep 1/2 a bale of hay in there, but due to Covid, hay in 1/2 bales are disappearing.
100_6295.JPG
each side has either an incandescent bulb for basking or a 100 watt flood. Both tortoises have a doggie door and the freedom to come and go all day but they are locked in at night.
Here you can see the sleeping box, a hanging CHE, a cooling fan, and a simple humidifier. I don't need UVB bulbs as they go outside regularly.
Here's Mary inside the sleeping box, she is not on the pig blanket. She sure looks small in there100_6289.JPG
So I guess that's it. I make my tortoise keeping simple, easy for me, and decent for the animals. It has rained so much already that the main Sulcata pen grass is covered with that bright green moss, that means no grass for grazing and I think I'm gonna have to do something major as it's killing the grass and I need it for food.
100_6286.JPG

Attachments

• 100_6293.JPG
    100_6293.JPG
    67.9 KB · Views: 10

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
Warning XXX I'm talking about bigger tortoises here. You cannot keep a small or very young tortoise in this set up.
Most of you have seen my tort shed so move on. I took a few new photos because I've gotten several questions on how I keep tortoises in the PNW.
View attachment 315447
an oil filled radiator type for ambient heat. No matter what the outside temps are, the shed stays 85-90 degrees
View attachment 315448
Here's an inside shot, Mary decided to pee for the pictures. Against the far wall is an open tort table that holds my cactus thru the winter. The shed is cut in half with a tort on each side. You can also see the 'sleeping box', built for Bob, and makes safe warm sleeping, there's a pig blanket operated by a rheostat inside the box. The other side has a cave for sleeping made out of cinder block. I don't use any substrate. It makes for easier clean up. Normally I keep 1/2 a bale of hay in there, but due to Covid, hay in 1/2 bales are disappearing.
View attachment 315450
each side has either an incandescent bulb for basking or a 100 watt flood. Both tortoises have a doggie door and the freedom to come and go all day but they are locked in at night.
Here you can see the sleeping box, a hanging CHE, a cooling fan, and a simple humidifier. I don't need UVB bulbs as they go outside regularly.
Here's Mary inside the sleeping box, she is not on the pig blanket. She sure looks small in thereView attachment 315452
So I guess that's it. I make my tortoise keeping simple, easy for me, and decent for the animals. It has rained so much already that the main Sulcata pen grass is covered with that bright green moss, that means no grass for grazing and I think I'm gonna have to do something major as it's killing the grass and I need it for food.
View attachment 315453

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Virginia
Go Mary ?

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
I realize my enclosure and it's equipment are old fashioned and dated. The pig blanket, hot flood lights and CHE's are all out now. There is new equipment RHP, tube lights...but I use what is available to me.
And I have tort tables in the house with humid hides where needed, and smaller turtles and tortoises

Reactions: Ink

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I realize my enclosure and it's equipment are old fashioned and dated. The pig blanket, hot flood lights and CHE's are all out now. There is new equipment RHP, tube lights...but I use what is available to me.
And I have tort tables in the house with humid hides where needed, and smaller turtles and tortoises
Each has its purpose, Maggie. If it works, don't knock it. Last year I switched out all my pig blankets for RHPs hoping to save on electricity. Big time fail! I can't get the night areas (sleeping boxes) any warmer than 68°F. They're still eating, so I'm not too worried yet, but as soon as I'm physically back to normal I'm putting the pig blankets back.

EllyMae

Shellman, GA
View attachment 315447
View attachment 315448
View attachment 315450
Here's Mary inside the sleeping box, she is not on the pig blanket. She sure looks small in thereView attachment 315452
View attachment 315453

Moss taking over grass is often a sign of acidic soil. Take some soil samples, and maybe add some lime. Poorly drained soils are also prone to moss. Aerating will help. Most lawn moss killers use iron sulfate as an active ingredient, but it can lower the pH.
I would reccomend aerating and taking a soil sample & send it to your State's soil lab for pH, Organic matter, and nutrients. Should be less than $10. They'll give treatment reccomendations for your specific case.

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
Moss taking over grass is often a sign of acidic soil. Take some soil samples, and maybe add some lime. Poorly drained soils are also prone to moss. Aerating will help. Most lawn moss killers use iron sulfate as an active ingredient, but it can lower the pH.
I would reccomend aerating and taking a soil sample & send it to your State's soil lab for pH, Organic matter, and nutrients. Should be less than $10. They'll give treatment reccomendations for your specific case.
Great idea, thanks