Outside Enclosure

ttran

Hi guys, I just move my Russian tortoise out of the cage, into the outside enclosure. At first, he tries to escape by climbing out of the wall but doesn't succeed. He doesn't eat too.Now he stays out side of the hide box and sleep. Is it OK for him to sleep outside ? I live in California and the weather at nigh is really cool .I don't have time to design a proper hide box for him, so I just use a wood box with no bottom. I am thinking of using a dog igloo with the ceramic heater hanging on the top. Is it ok ? and what can I do the make the hide box rain proof? I will attach a picture of the enclosure soon.
Thank You.

Blakem

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
California
You should make a door that you close at night. Your Russian would be okay with cool temps, but not cold. If you can't do that, Just bring it in at night.

lismar79

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Ohio USA
Is your outside enclosure safe at night against predators?

ttran

it's safe from the predators. here is the picture, please give me any advice you have

Attachments

• DSC_0003.JPG
    DSC_0003.JPG
    926.8 KB · Views: 50

WillTort2

5 Year Member
My Russians would be over that fence the first time my back was turned. All of my Russians are from the Houdini sub species. :) They climb, dig, squeeze and levitate! And once out they have a cloak of invisibility!

Your tort needs a deep substrate and tall smooth walls. And a wire grid over the top for predator protection.

Good luck.

tinkerbell1189

5 Year Member
I got to say, I think my Russian would climb that too, they are escape artists. It looks great but keep a close eye on them!

ttran

I replaced those fences with the bricks and made sure that he can't escape. The enclosure is so plain right now so I plan to grow grass. Unfortunately, the enclosure will not get any sun lights until 12 pm, so is it ok for my tort ? I will post a pic of the enclosure soon.