Outside Enclosure for 3-4 Year Old

Status
Not open for further replies.

dani

5 Year Member
Just wanted to ask some opinions. I have a 3-4 year old Sulcata that I am trying to set up an outdoor enclosure for. I have been pricing sheds, but unfortunately cannot quite afford one. A fried has an old greenhouse they are willing to give to me. Any ideas on how I can transform it into working for my Sulcata?

Josh

Ask questions, share answers, talk torts!
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Redlands, CA
you could paint it black. but if its too big you're gonna have a hard time keeping it warm at night. where are you located?

dani

5 Year Member
The greenhouse is approximately 6 ft by 8 ft. and the panels are made of polycarbonate material. I also wanted to put a doghouse inside of the greenhouse so that I could put a farrowing pad inside for his hot area. Thought about either using either ceramic heat emitters or an oil based heater to heat the entire greenhouse. Not sure which to use yet. Of course I will need a thermostat or two. This plan is in the works so please bring on your thoughts....

My concern of course is that the panels are clear, so we thought about paint. One I was concerned about him seeing out and trying to barge through the panels, and two I am concerned that in the summertime it might get too hot inside ( we live in SC and summers are brutal). I'm sure my husband can rig some sort of ventilation system for it. Winters here usually range in the upper 30's for short spurts, but can get below freezing on occasion. Would black be the best choice since the summers are so hot? Does anyone know the best choice for paint for such a material?

Seiryu

10 Year Member!
SE Michigan
So you are planning on making this greenhouse his home (for both winter and summer)?

Just remember if it has a top, even if clear. The UVB needed is going to be blocked. So he will either need sunlight (direct, not through windows). Or proper UVB lighting.

dani

5 Year Member
Sorry - let me clarify. I am setting up an entire area for him. He is going to have a fenced in area with plants and grasses growing. There will be a ramp of sorts leading into the greenhouse for him to stay at night. Basically, he will be able to come and go as he pleases.

Will he still need the UVB lighting since he will have access to sunlight?

I was hoping to make it an all year round thing if possible. It's a free greenhouse - I priced the same one new and it runs $800 new. They are getting a larger one, so they are giving it to me if I will take it. Just need to make it Sulcata friendly...

Seiryu

10 Year Member!
SE Michigan
dani said:
Sorry - let me clarify. I am setting up an entire area for him. He is going to have a fenced in area with plants and grasses growing. There will be a ramp of sorts leading into the greenhouse for him to stay at night. Basically, he will be able to come and go as he pleases.

Will he still need the UVB lighting since he will have access to sunlight?

I was hoping to make it an all year round thing if possible. It's a free greenhouse - I priced the same one new and it runs $800 new. They are getting a larger one, so they are giving it to me if I will take it. Just need to make it Sulcata friendly...

Nope, he sure does not need UVB lighting if he has sunlight year round. If you notice that he is inside for more than 3 days at a time, I might buy a Mercury Vapor bulb for the days he cannot go outside.

Some say that if a tortoise gets 3-5 hours of sunlight a week, they don't need UVB lighting.

I don't fully believe that, as I believe they need access to some sort of UVB daily. As in, if you could only take him out for 1 day, but for 3-5 hours, and then he got NO UVB the rest of the week, I don't think that's a good idea.

M

Maggie Cummings

It sounds great to me. I would paint it something on the sides but not worry about the top. Put in the dog house then add the pig blanket and the oil heater and you have the same thing that Bob has only slightly different. I would tho add a hot basking light as I have noticed that Bob goes back in his house and gets under his Trex 250 watt bulb even tho he could be out in what little sun we have here. So I do think a basking bulb is important to them. They use it to thermoregulate themselves...
So Yes! I sure would take that green house and make a good shelter for your tort.

SarahK

5 Year Member
MA
you could always look on craigslist or something like it. ive seen people sell or give away sheds on it.

chairman

10 Year Member!
Mississippi
I have heard that those polycarbonate panels can release a lot of toxic gasses when they get hot. It usually isn't a problem for plants, but can cause respiratory problems for some people who work in them. I'd research that particular green house manufacturer and get your hands on a MSDS for the panels before housing a tort in it.

If you do decide to use it, I would install a vent fan at the top, use foam board insulation to line all the walls and all but the south-facing part of the roof, and then line the bottom with 0.5" plywood (about 3 feet tall). Also, if there are some warnings about toxic gas, hang a bunch of "air cleaning" plants at the top. Most are toxic for tortoises (like pothos), but if you keep your eye on them they shouldn't grow low enough to get eaten.

Status
Not open for further replies.