Outdoor tortoise enclosures round 2

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Tropical South Texas
Some more progress was made down south this weekend. What a busy busy weekend. Had Dr.Esker down from Thursday to Saturday for some data input for his research work of ancient tortoises versus modern living specimens. Over 3000 measurements were taken and he documented weights, lengths and a complete profile of 60 of our tortoises. He has to come back this summer to finish. Anyways. Started on the ground breaking of the park with a nice new start of an enclosure for a bunch of tortoises and pathways.

Before area.
image.jpeg

Constructing the cold frame. 20'x40'
image.jpeg

The south west exposure I decided to utilize full colored 28 gauge metal for the roof. Instead of wire/shade clothe like the other screen house. Since this is more exposed to sun.
image.jpeg

Saturday was a fun day. Ribbon snake with a lizard in his belly. Also saw a large indigo snake that a mockingbird was pecking at, and later a massive 6.5' rattler. Anyways.
Working on clearing areas for pathways to lead through areas that will have more bird cages and tortoise exhibits. image.jpeg

Clear area behind first screen house with some water turtles in it. That house is on another thread. I didn't do very well at taking before pics. But lots of trash and debris was in these areas. Lots of clean up.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Than lay geofabric (like commercial weed clothe I got from work) where paths will be. image.jpeg

Then do some dirt leveling inside the new tort building. The other half of the roof will be clear.
image.jpeg

Then set up the main outline of the walk path inside the building.
image.jpeg

Then gravel everything. Of course I didn't take pics whilst doing it. But I used metal edging to shape and hold in the gravel on the pathways.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

image.jpeg

That's it for now. I got so busy I forgot to take the latest photos. But the enclosure walls are up and dirt piles ready to be spread out after some nice planting in the pens first. This project will take about 2-3 weekends to complete. Not sure what species I'll place in here. Will have 6 8'x8' enclosures and the smaller side is 6' deep so maybe some smaller ones like Hermanns and the Russians.

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
Smart with the Torx head ....( just don't strip the head on one of them bad boys......they are a Bi*** to back out if you do) With those screws you wont find them "backing out" and lumber warping with the varied temps.
Great job Kelly!

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Smart with the Torx head ....( just don't strip the head on one of them bad boys......they are a Bi*** to back out if you do) With those screws you wont find them "backing out" and lumber warping with the varied temps.
Great job Kelly!
Yes indeed. I buy the 20 pack Milwaukee impact rated packs. Usually after about 40 screws I chunk them and use a new one. I go through those bits like crazy.

It's getting there. Still hoping to be open this late summer-fall. Lots and lots of work to do still. But when I do open I'll do a tortoise forum discount. Free admission. Ha

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
I'm there ........with a return ticket to visit the Cove'....;)

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
Yes indeed. I buy the 20 pack Milwaukee impact rated packs. Usually after about 40 screws I chunk them and use a new one. I go through those bits like crazy.

It's getting there. Still hoping to be open this late summer-fall. Lots and lots of work to do still. But when I do open I'll do a tortoise forum discount. Free admission. Ha
Does that "free admission" come with a pre-paid, all expense, round trip flight from Fresno?

So looking forward to your opening~~~~~~And ........

Yvonne will only fly first class, I'll be OK with herd in coach.:D:D:D

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Haha. I wish. But I can get a mega good rate for lodging. It will all work out as it gets closer to being open.

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
Thanks, And Continue to supply us with photos Please.......;););)