Outdoor top soil, too wet?

AnimalLady

Hello!
I used 5 bags of top soil for our RT's outdoor enclosure. I wanted it to be fluffy so he could burrow if he wished. The enclosure is sitting on a piece of plywood covered in membrane roof (for waterproofing). We drilled holes into it hoping that it would help with draining. Lately we've been getting A LOT of rain, I mean A LOT! I noticed that the topsoil isn't really drying much and always seems wet. I don't think MacGyver (his new name, completely fits him) likes it. I have a few slabs of rock in there for him to sit on and he's always sitting on them. Its like he doesn't like the ground being so wet, and I don't blame him.

I bought that seed mix that I hear everyone talking about from tortsupply.. haven't planted them yet, do I just throw them down and they will sprout? Or do I need to bury them? My greenthumb is non-existent.

I want to buy a couple pieces of sod (is that what its called? squares of grass) to place in there. and I also plan on putting down some garden stones to give him a variety of terrain.... its an ongoing project that I get to play with every 2 weeks (pay day! lol!)

Is it okay that the topsoil stays so wet? when I first started with this I was set on getting a redfoot, all the material I red on them said they liked humid, and moist...not so sure about my Russian buddy though.

I've been meaning to snap a pic to show you all, I just keep forgetting, forgive me!

Thoughts?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
If temps are warm and its sunny, then the dampness won't hurt him, especially if he's only out there a few hours during the day and then back inside at night. I think the dry slabs to sit on are also a good idea.

I would not use sod. It has plastic netting and is often laced with chemical fertilizers and pesticides. Grow your own grass from seeds. This one is the best I have found: http://www.groworganic.com/premium-horse-pasture-mix-irrigation.html
Don't use hardware store grass seed. It also has too much extra "stuff" in it. Also, russian are not grass eaters, so you rely don't need grass in there. I would grow other stuff instead.

I scatter my "Testudo Mix" seeds in the area where I want them and then sprinkle about a quarter to a half inch of soil on top of it. You'll need to block this area off from the tortoise for at least a few weeks or the seeds will never get a good foot hold.

AnimalLady

Good thing you warned me about the sod. I was ready to get get a few pieces after work. I'll be ordering that grass mix. I know he might not eat it, but I think it will give him a nice little brush so he could hide in there if he wanted, and i think its nicer than just top soil everywhere. He isnt housed indoors at all, he's outside 24/7, is that a big problem? He's doing well, eating wonderfully, and overall good.

Another thing I have noticed is that my little guy doesnt explore his enclosure too much. He's familiar with his food dish, and always goes to it when he sees me coming lol. He'll also go from one hide to the next and thats about it. He wont really go around exploring at all, he stays in one corner of the enclosure. When I first got him he would just bury his head in the dirt and eat, now he at least comes out, basks on his rock, goes under his hide and eats. Do you think it just takes time for him to be completely comfortable with his home?