Outdoor time!

juli11

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Europe
How warm need it be that you put your South African tortoise in their outdoor enclosure?

juli11

5 Year Member
Europe
Ok wait I have to look how much Celsius it is :-D

juli11

5 Year Member
Europe
Ok that's warm. These degrees are for day or night? Last year I put my spekes in the outside while we have 16C in the night.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
South Africa can get pretty cold actually. Depending on what species and where of course. Speks most likely came in from Mozambique or Tanzania so a bit warmer winters as it'such closer to the equator than SA. But I put mine out when it's high 60s and sunny to low-mid 70s. I prefer ituch warmer, but never had any problems.

juli11

5 Year Member
Europe
Yes thank you. I'm thinking about my speks and lombatse. So they can in the outside next time. It's going to be warmer.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Yeah. The lobatse probably also came from Swaziland or Tanzania, pretty thought getting actual SA specimens. But you should be ok putting them out. They more than likely won't be very active though, I see only activity early in here AM when it's going to start to heat up, and just before sundown. A midday spray down gets them going too, especially when it's warm.

juli11

5 Year Member
Europe
Ok. Do you mean with s Fahrenheit?? The problem at the is that we have days with temperatures between 18 and 22C and sunshine and days with 15-17C without sunshine so I don't know I don't want to risk that they get ill. So i will Waite 2 weeks or so.
My lobatsiana come North Africa. They live in an area in which you can find spekii and lobatsiana.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Yeah I keep forgetting we're one of the only countries that does Fahrenheit. Sorry. Not sure what it translates too into Celsius. But yeah if yours are northern range then I would up it by another 10 degrees Fahrenheit. The South African, and bordering nations of those specimens can handle it a little cooler.

juli11

5 Year Member
Europe
Ok. So you say between 70 and 80 Fahrenheit. This temperature we've got in the end of Mai and in the mittle of June. So they have to wait. But at the moment it's to cold without enough sunshine.