Outdoor temperatures - tub enclosures

Rue

Location (City and/or State)
Canada
Goosefoot Blue Tub scrubbed  (2).jpg I am dragging the freshly scrubbed blue water trough around the yard trying to find a good place for it...to be the temporary outdoor enclosure for my baby Hermann's (this summer, and possibly next summer as well).

I think I'd like to have it on our front step...which is akin to a balcony. Convenient...I can have her out for sun when I get back from work and am making supper...easy to keep an eye out. Less likely to have an issue with a predator - but we will be making a cover regardless.

I was worried about it being too cold. Today...it is 25 C outside, and now I'm worried about it being too hot. If the temperature gun is to be believed...the bottom of the plastic...in the sun...is 45 C.

It will be different with soil in it and in the shaded areas...and with plants...and there is a breeze up on the step...but still...

I've never had a real balcony...and I've never actually spent any time on one (outside of stepping outside to admire the view and then going back into whatever apartment we were visiting)...so I don't have a feel for balcony living. I sometimes sit out on our front step, but apparently not in the sun on a 25 C day...lol.

How hot is too hot? Suggestions? Relocate?Goosefoot in blue water trough.png

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Your temperature gun is probably correct. The ground temperature in a sheltered spot in full sun is usually way higher than the air temperature.

It's important that plenty of shade is available

Reactions: Rue

Rue

Canada
Well...it's portable. I can set it up - see what the temperature is once that's done...and take it from there...maybe it will still be fine.

I really want to get her out in the real sun for part of the day...without worrying...

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Make sure there's plenty of shade in the tub by using plants in it and a hide. If it's only being used for part of the day - avoid the hottest time

Yelloweyed

5 Year Member
SoCal California
You can put in a tunnel covered with dirt and it'll be much cooler in the tunnel. The more dirt, the more insulation there will be.

ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1462226265.860848.jpg

Reactions: Rue

Rue

Canada
Thanks. I'm hoping the dirt I put in will help keep it cool enough.

Yes...plants are on the menu! :)

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
The other thing you can do is locate the tub where it doesn't get full sun all day.

As long as it gets full sun in the morning before it gets too hot, your tort will be able to bask and warm up.

Having the tub in the shade for part of the day is fine. Just pick your spot so you get shade from the house or trees for part of the day

Rue

Canada
You can't really see from the pics I posted, but that location is also under a roof. The tub would get some rain if it's pouring, but it won't flood - which is another issue I have to think about if I put it elsewhere.

I wouldn't put her in it for the day, just when we get home from work, so she'd benefit from the evening sun, not the morning. The front of our place faces south, but she'd also get light from the west...

If I locate the tub in the back yard she'd be subject to the north - which is where our prevailing wind comes from so it's less pleasant...

I'm thinking to put the Tortoise Garden on the east side of the house...that way she would get the benefit of the morning light and basking opportunities (when she's bigger and I'm less paranoid), but I still have to plan that out...(my garden ideas are getting bigger than the space I have allotted to it! lol)...

Hopefully tomorrow I can make a run to town and get a bag of clean soil...everything I have on hand has vermiculite or pellets in it...

I think we'll have time to make a cage top on Sunday...