Outdoor Sulcata Enclosure in the PNW, Suggestions Needed :)

AndreavonW

5 Year Member
I added the damp dirt (technically it's coco coir) to the inside of my house so it stays nice and humid inside. I don't aim for high humidity, a moderate level of 60% is fine since I no longer battle the desiccating effects of light bulbs. Once the RH gets to 50% I add a bunch of warm water and stir it with my hands..did it today actually. The humidity will spike up into the high 80s possibly low 90s for that first day or 2 then hover in the 60-70 range for a week or 2.

Even though it's humid outside, they are inside that tort house and without either a humidifier, tubs of water or damp substrate..it'll be much drier in there from the heat source.

Great information! We used coco coir for a while and it seemed impossible to keep moist in his winter pen in the basement. It makes so much sense that without the overhead lighting it will retain moisture better, I hadn't really thought of that for his outdoor pen! Do you use a humidifier as well or tubs of water? I'd like this enclosure to be as energy efficient as possible but without compromise to the tortoise's health and happiness.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southern Oregon
no humidifier and no tubs of water. I just add water the coco coir about once a week..maybe 2 and mix it up with my hands. Pretty easy ;)

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southern Oregon
Here are some photos for ya.. A picture really is worth 1000 words ;)

The fully insulated, heated tort house right next to an outlet for power and under my covered patio

0307151139.jpg

I close and lock his door each night....his pots will have plants in them come spring ;) oh and notice the overlapping vinyl flaps in the doorway, it helps keep heat in when the door is open.

0307151136.jpg
0307151136a.jpg

Here's the inside..

0307151136c.jpg
I have weather stripping along the top walls which keeps heat in, too.
You can see the oil filled heater on one side and the thermostat on the wall. The probe hangs near my digital thermostat/hydrometer.
Also, I lined the bottom and 6"up the walls with vinyl flooring to prevent mold...since the damp substrate isn't touching the wood.

Hope this helps!