Outdoor Sulcata Enclosure Help

gonzotronn

Location (City and/or State)
Texas
Hello everyone! I have a 2 year old Sulcata that of course is growing very fast! He (I believe) spends most of his time in an indoor enclosure that is much too small for him now. I am moving into a new home in Houston, Texas and I have an outdoor area that is about 5'x30'. I wish it was wider, but this is what I have to work with and believe will be suitable for the next few years. I have read many of the threads in this forum so I think I have the basics down, but I am open to any suggestions.

My plan is dig trenches and sink 2"x10" boards into the ground on all sides that aren't against the foundation. Will this be deep enough?

I am looking for some type of wall structure that is strong but also aesthetically pleasing. I have also learned that wood is very loud when he is trying to climb up the walls which is inevitable. A quieter material would be nice.

I also plan to build a large heated burrow - will this provide enough humidity? I will continue soaking and will have an area for him to soak, but it will likely dry up quickly in the summer.

Thanks for any help!

L

LasTortugasNinja

Hello everyone! I have a 2 year old Sulcata that of course is growing very fast! He (I believe) spends most of his time in an indoor enclosure that is much too small for him now. I am moving into a new home in Houston, Texas and I have an outdoor area that is about 5'x30'. I wish it was wider, but this is what I have to work with and believe will be suitable for the next few years. I have read many of the threads in this forum so I think I have the basics down, but I am open to any suggestions.

My plan is dig trenches and sink 2"x10" boards into the ground on all sides that aren't against the foundation. Will this be deep enough?

I am looking for some type of wall structure that is strong but also aesthetically pleasing. I have also learned that wood is very loud when he is trying to climb up the walls which is inevitable. A quieter material would be nice.

I also plan to build a large heated burrow - will this provide enough humidity? I will continue soaking and will have an area for him to soak, but it will likely dry up quickly in the summer.

Thanks for any help!
I am not a fan of using the house wall or foundation as a border. A lot of times, building material and chemicals are in the dirt around the foundation of houses. My current house is 72 years old, and I STILL find nails, chunks of decomposing wood, and other crap in the ground as I'm digging up the ground around the house for my wife's raised flowerbeds. I have my outdoor enclosure about 16 inches away from the house, and make a little brick path so when I need to quickly be able to walk around, I can do so easily in all weather. Also, I recently had my house painted, and it would have been a real hassle to either tarp over the enclosure or have the painters stomping through it.

Just ideas.