Outdoor Redfoot set up

tortdad

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
NW Houston TX
I have a 12' x 12' area of my yard fenced off. It used to be a garden but we decided we didn't want to do another garden this year so I turned it into my new Redfoot area.

I forgot to take some pics before I started but the weeds were knee high in there, lol. I pulled all the weeds, cut down some the the corrugated storm pipe I have, covered them in top soil, spread some cypress mulch, and planted some plants.

I still need to put the soaking tray in there, hang the shade cloth and spread some seed around. I need to think of something to plant in the soil on top of the hides so the rain doesn't just wash it away. I was thinking of moss but can't find any around here. What would you guys do?

For plants I have one elephant plant, 2 tall hibiscus plants, 2 ferns, a fist full of small aloe staters and some fountain grass. What else should I put in there?

@mike taylor
@Yvonne G
@Jacqui
@tortadise

ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1430705401.135546.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1430705420.237259.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1430705439.522587.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1430705455.859603.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1430705470.595126.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1430705488.513146.jpg

I finely got her to eat some too. Her previous owner gave her strictly fruit and water turtle pellets so I didn't feeder for 3 days then mixed Mazuri with collard greens, kale and mushroom. She ate it right up. I tried offering her greens for the first few days but she just turned her nose up at them, withholding food for a few A few days did the trick. Now let's see if I can keep her eating.

Let me know what you guys would add.

Momof4

10 Year Member!
San Diego
You could add a grape vine. As they grow they make wonderful shade in the summer. Hopefully she will like eating the leaves too. Dichondra, clover and mustard green seeds. My mustard just pops up out of no where and they nibble on it.

tortdad

5 Year Member
NW Houston TX
Zeropilot gave me some grape seeds and they have been planted in little pots so they will eventually make it in there

Oxalis

10 Year Member!
Michigan
Looks awesome so far!! Very nice hides! ;) Plants look great so far too. For more plants, I would recommend checking out The Tortoise Table. They're section on shrubs might be helpful to you. However, lots of wildflowers can always be a great way to go too!!

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
I'm no help when it comes to plants . I buy deer plotting mix . It has weeds and greens mixed in . Hibiscus ,roses,grape vine ,mulberry bush to name a few .

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Zeropilot gave me some grape seeds and they have been planted in little pots so they will eventually make it in there
Right now the grape plants are taking off like rockets here. Have yours sprouted yet?
My Rf only like to eat the tender NEW leaves. Not the large, sturdy ones.

tortdad

5 Year Member
NW Houston TX
Right now the grape plants are taking off like rockets here. Have yours sprouted yet?
My Rf only like to eat the tender NEW leaves. Not the large, sturdy ones.
Not yet. They just got out in pots Friday

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
One the hides try rose moss, a spreading sedum is really great and lots of types to choose from.These grow fast, will hold down the soil, are eatable and look nice.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Hostas are another nice plant that will do well in the shaded areas. They come in a variety of sizes, leaf shapes, and colors. Some can even take a bit more sun then other plants. Tortoises tend to like them for eating and those leaves are nice to hide under. Plant a couple of bush cucumber/squash vines.