Outdoor Redfoot Pen

Status
Not open for further replies.

StudentoftheReptile

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Alabama
Okay, so I'm getting ready to adopt another redfoot (it never ends!); this time, its a 9-inch male with a hindleg disability. Obviously, he's larger than any other tortoise I have and will of course, be going outside.

So here's what I spent half of my weekend doing. Using some cypress boards from a deck my grandparent tore down, I constructed an 8' x 8' x 18" pen.

outdoor_redfootpen1.jpg

What I have left to do is build a hide box for him, although eventually I'll be moving at least one more of my redfoots out here when they get large enough so I guess it needs to be big enough for 2-3 adult redfoots. What would be the suggested dimensions for that?

I also need to plant a few shrubs in there, and build a wire-cover to deter predators. I don't have one for the sulcata, mainly because he is so shy, tough/heavy and retreats quickly to his shelters at the first sign of danger. But for a gimpy redfoot, I don't want to take chances. I have not seen anything hanging around our yard besides the occasional stray cat, but still.
---

On a similar note, this is the main area I was planning on converting into a huge permanent, outdoor redfoot pen. My original plan was to use brickwork to encircle where the pen starts all the way around this huge tree, basically making a semi-circle adjacent to our backporch area (I don't know if you can see it in those pics).

palmettotree1.jpg

My main questions are: A) What the heck kind of tree is this? I've been told it is a palmetto tree/bush, but not entirely sure, and want to confirm. All I know is that I hate it (completely blocks the view of the backyard from the porch), but lack the resources to get rid of it. Since it is here to stay, I figured I might as well put the shade to use in the future redfoot pen.

palmettotree2.jpg

palmettotree3.jpg

B) It periodically produces and drops these berries all over the ground. Are these safe for tortoise consumption? I know our dog used to routinely chomp them up with no ill effects, but wasn't sure. Again, I was told by a friend that they're safe, but was never sure.

berries.jpg

CourtneyAndCarl

5 Year Member
Middle of nowhere
Hmm, I can't answer any of your questions, just wanted to say that your pen looks good, especially for just half a week of work :) That would have taken me at least a week or two, but then again, I'm not good with building things.

StudentoftheReptile

5 Year Member
Alabama
futureleopardtortoise said:
That would have taken me at least a week or two, but then again, I'm not good with building things.

Ya know, I'm not really that great either. Of course, I'm not building custom cabinets or anything. It was easy since I already had the materials and the tools. Just a matter of cutting 12 of the boards to all be 8 feet in length and screwing them together!

What you see there took me about 4 hours total, perhaps a little less.

kamoopsipooh

5 Year Member
I've seen those palms around here (I'm in Hawaii) but don't know what they're called either. I'm just curious how your pen looks now. I'm planning on getting some redfoots myself and would like some ideas.

StudentoftheReptile

5 Year Member
Alabama
UPDATES

So long story short: I was going to get the tortoise, then I wasn't going to get it, then after several weeks, I ended up getting him!

At one point, when I assumed I would be getting the tortoise, I hadn't done much with the enclosure, other than planting a papaya tree that was getting too big for its pot. But yesterday, we acquired this fine fellow, who ended up being a tad larger than I initially anticipated.

Meet "Lobo" an adult redfoot male who had a slight gimp in his right foot (hence the reason he was given to me).

Lobo_firstnight1.jpg

Lobo_firstnight2.jpg

Yesterday evening, I kinda threw some features together to last until the weekend: a garbage can lid for a water pan, and several spare boards laid across the top for shade. This upcoming Saturday, I'll be able to build a shelter for him.

Lobo_pen1.jpg

Tropical Torts

10 Year Member!
Northwest FL
I'm glad your liking him and i hope you enjoy him also. Those palms are called pindo palms the berries are called palm dates. I will occasionally eat them myself but i have never given them to my torts though. But then again if it's not good enough for me to eat then it's not good enough for the tortoises.

Sorry about the delays and what not but you know how it is when money is short and you have to try to make ends meet! Glad i was able to give him to you and i know you will be giving him a great home.

Tropical Torts

10 Year Member!
Northwest FL
I didn't realize he was so big! I guess when your size comparison is a 20in redfoot in the pen next door the smaller guys just seem smaller. How are you liking his personality?

StudentoftheReptile

5 Year Member
Alabama
jrcrist4 said:
I didn't realize he was so big! I guess when your size comparison is a 20in redfoot in the pen next door the smaller guys just seem smaller. How are you liking his personality?

He's still a little shy, still getting used to everything. He let me pet his head a few times, but with my schedule, I hardly have time to do much with any of them besides give them food, fresh water and freshen up their pens!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I'm always looking for palm trees that produce fruit to plant in my YF pen. The tortoises eat the fallen fruit in their native land. "They" just don't sell the trees that produce fruit here in my area, and I don't know the names in order to buy them online.

Status
Not open for further replies.